I think I may be going slightly mad...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee Tech, Toper

Postby Rafiffi » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi Teme,

I am also considering buying something more professional. I spoke with Gad from Coffee Tech re. batch size of the Maggiolino and Torrefattore and he recommended no smaller batches than 400g on the Maggio and no smaller than 500g on the Torre. I love the compact size on the Torrefattore if you compare it with the Toper Cafemmino, which is huge but fairly acceptable in price . I am not looking for a sample roaster so a minimum batch size of 500g would be ok. Still the prize of the Torrefattore is close to a 2kg Oz (much too big in size for me). Roasting bigger batch sizes than 300g will always result in more smoke so a chaff cyclon is a must to me.

Reinhold :wink:
GS3 Paddle ,
GB5-New Group Cap 3 Boiler
Faema E61 Legend S1,
Nouva Simonelli Aurelia
Eureka Mythos ; Mazzer Kony E,
Rafiffi

Postby Walter » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:32 pm

Steve wrote:I have three (soon to be two if a TMC member comes through) two barreled ones of them.

How much are these two barrelled Pinhalenses? The single barrel and the small batch size turns out to be pain whenever I want to do more samples in two roast degrees on my small electric Probat. Also the profiles are not really applicable on my gas roaster...

----

P.S. I must be too dense to navigate their website, I don't seem to get to any other roaster except the one in Teme's link...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby Teme » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like I have an opportunity for a great trip!

Walter wrote:I must be too dense to navigate their website, I don't seem to get to any other roaster except the one in Teme's link...

Try choosing Portugese as the language and you will see more (but not all..) :)

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Walter » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:09 am

Teme wrote:Try choosing Portugese as the language and you will see more (but not all..) :)

Br,
Teme

Thanks, after having tried English and then Spanish I had given up...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:01 am

Interesting list of small roasters. The 800N is produced by Yang-Chia Machine Works Co., Ltd. The 800N is part of their Feima Series.

http://feima.myweb.hinet.net/windos/w-03-07-800N.htm
http://www.feima.com.tw/

The photo of the 800N is the model that I bought. In their new brochure they have made some minor changes to the design.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby beansmeanshighs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:43 am

Anybody used the Coffe tech maggio and torre , the toper is way too big
beansmeanshighs

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:29 am

beansmeanshighs wrote:Anybody used the Coffe tech maggio and torre , the toper is way too big

Hmmm, I like the 400g batch size and if I had a spare €2200 (plus shipping) it would be top of my shopping list.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:36 am

Zapty has one. I wonder why he hasn't gotten in on this thread. It seemed smaller than what I want, but since it can do continuous roasting that really shouldn't be a problem. The roasts he did while we were there were lovely.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby psychomansam » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:12 pm

I'm jealous of you guys who are looking seriously at these things now... I'm just dreaming still.

thought i'd just post this which i saw on ebay: 260147789168

It's a torrefattore on ebay! Random!

:)
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Postby zapty » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Well, I've been having a bit of trouble with my trusty mac lately.

The Maggio...? I love it, a person I know uses it as a sample roaster in a roastery.

It's been roasting up a storm for the better part of a year now and I'm impressed with it.
Durably built, not to heavy, 400 gram or less batches, 3 to 4 batches/hr, digital controller, cyclone type chaff collector, excellent heavy duty motor to drive drum and exhaust.
I really like it myself but I've stopped recommending machines (not necessarily the Maggio by the way) to other people as I've had some less nice experiences doing that.
I've just finished updating my Maggiolino, the supplier sent me (free of all charges) the digital controller and temp gauge so it is rocking...better temp control and settings all around.

Haven't had much time with it the last few weeks though as I've been working on and experimenting with my sweet little triple Probat sample roaster.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Teme » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:08 pm

I heard back from Pinhalense and the electric version of the sample roaster is no longer in production - only gas fired ones. Hmm...

Zapty - the Maggiolino now comes with a digital bean temp display? Where is this probe and do you have any feel for how accurate it is? If I see correctly, the roaster does not have a tryer, but it does have a small window for monitoring the roast?

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby zapty » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Yeah, the digital display is OK and an improvement, the probe is now located on the front of the roaster, it is more accurate then before and easier to play with. No tryer but it (the roaster) runs VERY quiet so all cracks can be easily heard. Also the pyrex window is good enough to check the color of the beans. Tryers are a little overrated imo. I use my ears, eyes and nose and that works extremely well. The service from this company is excellent too.
Attachments
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
IMG_0281.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby beansmeanshighs » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:54 am

Can anyone explain why the maggiolli or torrefattore would be better than a hottop programmable. Are they a more hands on approach based on experience. Where as reading some of the hottop profilling is something to do about nothing. I always thought it was 18mins 18.30, 19.0 ,19.5, 20.0 eject....
beansmeanshighs

Postby bruceb » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:18 am

I think the larger batch size and the fact that you can roast continuously make a big difference. I don't think the results will be very different. I am very happy with the roast quality of my HT (analog model), but certainly a batch size of 190g roasted is irritatingly small. Also, having to let cool down, remove chaff and then reheat each time is a big limitation. If you don't need any more than these batch sizes there isn't much reason to upgrade from the HT. I don't think the programmable HT is any advantage over the manual version, but that's personal taste, I guess.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:46 am

I think Bruce's criticisms are valid ones. I roast in 225g batches as opposed to the 250g recommended ones, but still I would welcome upping this a bit as having to wait an hour between roasts is a pain.
Time will tell if the latest version (the one following the digital one), can do the business. It offers full manual control on the fly.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques