I got my new roaster! (Mini500 / 800N)

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Aadje wrote:you see em searching the streets already early in the morning with sleepy faces? ;)

Naaah, they're too busy looking for the fire extinguisher. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby beansmeanshighs » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:09 am

Sunnyfield
Showed my wife your indoor flat roaster. Her reply was " I assume mini means something different in Hong Kong " :lol:
beansmeanshighs

Postby jackson » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Hello beansmeanshighs,

Just say hello and joke, no offense at all.

Tell your wife, the roaster named in Taiwan by the manufacturer.
And I guessed they named this may be the volume 500g of the drum compare with other same shape roaster 4Kg - 5Kg.

My bean supplier gets a sample supplier from U.S..
There are some very serious sample roasters like Probe and some Turkey made.
I have seen some in (WBC) Paul's espresso DVD.

Thanks
1971-Olympia C67, 78 Oly Club, Compak K-10 WBC.
jackson

Postby Neo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Congrats. Maybe you may make the pipes straight,if possible. since it's easier for the heated air to escape in the way
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Neo wrote:Congrats. Maybe you may make the pipes straight,if possible. since it's easier for the heated air to escape in the way

When I roast I stick the exhaust tubes out of the window; that will straighten them more. As you know, space is limited and precious in HK, so I curl them up when not in use. Actually the fan is quite strong, so the smoke is blown out even when the pipe is curled, I suspect. :)

Edit: formatting
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby SlowRain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:35 am

Who manufactures this one? Is it Feima/Yang Chia?
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby dr.chris » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm

What dedication, Sunnyfield :!: No doubt you get some lovely aromas throughout the roasting process.

Look forward to hearing more about your progress as you tame the impressive beastie. :)

Dr Chris and Wifey
dr.chris

Postby zix » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh wow! Wow!
What a beast. That thing looks... otherworldly. Will you roast a bean for TMC in the next batch?
"We´ll roast a bean of darkness yet
for auld lang syne"
- Burns' alternative version, "collected" on his less well-known-of Ottoman empire trip in 1786
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Raf » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 am

congrats, eward
looks like a helluva roaster
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:27 am

I really do salute your courage. A man who has his priorities right....and they say that all the old standards have gone....well you showed 'em.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:14 am

Am I missing something here? This thread is more than 2 years old.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:38 am

It's operating on the TMC special time zone ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Raf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 pm

bruceb wrote:Am I missing something here? This thread is more than 2 years old.

omg didn't even notice that
I probably already commented on this thing too... :oops:
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:15 am

The results are great, but not excellent. It cannot beat professional roasters, and I suspect that is mainly due to batch size. The vanes inside the drum may have something to do with it as well. The flue is a bit too long and it is tough to keep it straight, so there remains a bit of a smokey flavour in the cup.

The control over the roast profile is unparalleled: temperature, drum speed and flue vent. Despite doing about one roast a week for the last 2.5 years, I have not fully mastered the roast process yet. I can probably control the roast profile as I desire without under and overshooting the desired temperature (which as we know requires a lot of practice), but the understanding of how all the tweaks may affect the taste in the cup requires hundreds if not thousands of roasts under the belt.

It is the ultimate home roaster's dream machine, if you have the space (and understanding partner) for it.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques