New Coffee Roast Database – multi-platform version

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:57 am

ericc wrote:Hi GB,
I have only just found this absolutely superb program that you have written. many thanks for making it available to all on TMC. I have a question that I hope you can help with.
I am running a MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 4 GB of Ram the OS is 10.5.5.
The problem is that when I double click on CoffeeRoastDB.jar it shows the launch window, which says "Loading please wait" and then it just crashes.
Do you, or any of the other Mac users on TMC have any idea as to what may be wrong?
All the Best
Eric

Hi Eric, As far as I know you are the first person to try this program on OSX. As Apple have only issued the required version of Java SE 6 for 64 bit intel based Mac’s I have been unable to do any testing on OSX. Given this it is not surprising that you are having a problem.

Steve does not have the required 64 bit Intel Mac so uses Windows for this program.

I took the trouble to write and include a very simple troubleshooter program to try to identify any problems. The troubleshooter will work with Java SE 5 and above and provides information on your operating system, Java version etc. The troubleshooter will also try to run the program if you have the required version of Java and will report on messages issued as the program attempts to start.

I would be grateful if you would navigate to the installation folder and run Troubleshoot.jar. If the troubleshooter detects the required version of Java it will enable a button to allow you to attempt to run the program. Click the button and wait for the program to start or to fail. Please then copy and paste the contents of the two windows (top window system data, bottom window program output/error messages) into a PM and send to me. I will then try to identify what the problem is.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Sad news for you Apple fans. Eric has kindly tried various things today but we have been unable to get the Coffee Roast Database running on his 64 bit Intel Mac despite it running the latest version of Apples Java SE 6 :cry: . I do not have any access to suitable Mac’s so resolving this is unrealistic for the time being.

The programs have been tested by me and others on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Linux (tested on Kubuntu 7.10 and 8.04). For the time being anyone wishing to use these programs will have to run them on one of these operating systems.

If I can resolve the issue with Apples Java in the future I will let you all know.

Thanks for helping trying to resolve this Eric.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby EricC » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:36 pm

No problem GB,

Thank you for all of your hard work.

All the Best
Eric
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Update available

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:22 pm

An updated version 1.1 is available here which fixes a few issues. Version information follows:

• Version 1.1 issued on 15/11/08

1. Improved error trapping on program startup

2. Improved Troubleshooter

3. Fixed bug on first startup which, in certain circumstances, could cause CoffeeRoastDataExample to be renamed to the wrong folder thus stopping the program from starting thereafter

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm

I have added a troubleshooting section to my website to advise of any identified problems running this program and there solutions. So far it advises that if you have a problem running this program on Windows XP try expanding the compressed distribution folder to C:\ as C:\CoffeeRoastDB.

See my website for more information.

GreenBean

Postby alwrjp » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Just noticed this so thought I would try it.

I've downloaded 1.1 and have it running on my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo.
Nice program!

Version is:
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06-153)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_07-b06-57, mixed mode)

which I have made the default version by running
/Applications/Utilities/Java/Java\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/Java\ Preferences

What were the problems noted above?
alwrjp

Postby EricC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:32 pm

alwrjp wrote:Version is:
java version "1.6.0_07"

I have just checked on my MacPro and via terminal, it give exactly the same info as above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT why won't it run on my machine ????????

alwrjp wrote:What were the problems noted above?

I double click on CoffeeRoastDB.jar it shows the launch window, which says "Loading please wait" and then it just crashes.

Arrgghh

E.
EricC

Postby GreenBean » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:17 pm

alwrjp wrote:Just noticed this so thought I would try it. I've downloaded 1.1 and have it running on my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo.
Nice program!

Version is:
java version "1.6.0_07"

which I have made the default version by running
/Applications/Utilities/Java/Java\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/Java\ Preferences

Thank you very much for the information alwrjp. As far as I know you are the first person to successfully run this program on OSX. I do not have access to any mac’s so have been unable to do any testing. I am pleased you like the program and wonder if you could do me a favour. The program takes on the look and feel of the operating system and I would very much like to see what it looks like on your system. Could you possible send me some screen shots of the program? If so please PM them to me or email to green_bean@ntlworld.com.

ericc wrote:I have just checked on my MacPro and via terminal, it give exactly the same info as above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT why won't it run on my machine ????????

Sorry it is not working on your Mac Eric. I will take a look at the information you have sent me in a PM when I get a chance. At least we know now that it can run on a suitable Mac.

GreenBean

Postby EricC » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm

GreenBean wrote:Sorry it is not working on your Mac Eric. I will take a look at the information you have sent me in a PM when I get a chance. At least we know now that it can run on a suitable Mac.

Thanks GB, yes, that is excellent news that at least one Intel Mac owner has it up and running. 8)

Regards
Eric
EricC

Postby alwrjp » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:54 pm

" Could you possible send me some screen shots of the program?"

Yes, will do so later.

Have also sent PM to Eric about possible ways to fix it. Apple documentation
about location and use of alternate versions is rather poor ...
alwrjp

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:40 am

OHHH running on a mac would be wonderful
Steve
Founder Member

Version 1.2 available

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:41 am

A new version of this program is available here. Version information follows:

• Version 1.2 issued on 17/11/08

1. Changes to program start up code to improve compatibility with different operating systems. If you can run version 1.1 on your system there is no need to update to this version.

If version 1.1 does not run on your system then this version may help, in particular this version handles spaces in the path to the program better than earlier versions.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:48 am

alwrjp wrote:" Could you possibly send me some screen shots of the program?"

Yes, will do so later.

Have also sent PM to Eric about possible ways to fix it. Apple documentation
about location and use of alternate versions is rather poor ...

Thank you for the screen shots alwrjp, it looks good on OSX. I would also like to thank you for the help you are offering to Eric to try to get it running on his Mac it is very much appreciated. :D

GreenBean

Postby EricC » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:31 pm

It’s alive. !!!!!!!!

This morning after retrying a clean install, I thought “sod it” and did a complete clean reinstall / format of the OS (Mac OS 10.5.5) on my Mac Pro.

It worked, everything is working perfectly, something on my machine must have been corrupted anf only the full clean install fixed it.
I am now re-installing all of my other software and testing after each program goes on, all OK up to now. :-)

Many, many thanks Tom and Andrew, for all of your hard work.

All the Best
Eric
EricC

Postby GreenBean » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 pm

That is wonderful news Eric. I know how much effort you have put in to this and am absolutely delighted for you. I can not believe the amount of trouble you have gone to just to run this program! :shock: I would not have gone to that much trouble to run the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy program to find the answer to the ultimate question (the meaning of life, the universe and everything). I hope it is not a complete disappointment after all that.

I would like to thank Andrew (alwrjp) again, he has spent much time on this and provided invaluable advice. Without this help we would have given up on running this program on Apple computers.

So now we can say definitively that this program can run on Intel 64 bit Apple Mac computers. :D :D :D

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques