New Coffee Roast Database – multi-platform version

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New Coffee Roast Database – multi-platform version

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:36 pm

I have been recording all my coffee roasts so far in Excel but have found it cumbersome now I am up to 150 roasts. Recently I have developed a simple application to record the relevant roast data and to compare the current roast profile to a selected previous roast profile in both tabular and chart form.

The program has been written to do just what I want but it occurs to me that some of you may also find it useful. It has been developed in Windows XP but should work fine in Windows 2000 and above and requires no other programs installed. If you have Excel 97 or above then it will also export the data to Excel.

Screen shots and a brief description are available here. [edit url changed to new web site with download facility]

I am unable to add the program to my free web space as an executable or compressed file and am far too cheap to pay for web space. :oops:

If people express an interest I am happy to email a copy or to see if we can find a way to upload it to TMC.
Last edited by GreenBean on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Simple Coffee Roast Database – free to anyone interested

Postby wvb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:12 pm

hey nice work
looks like a nice program!
now all I need is some gear :oops:
Expobar Brewtus II
Mazzer Mini E Type A
wvb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Looks good GB and very decent of you to share. I'll make this thread into a sticky and if you wish we can sort out getting the file made available via the download area :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gadders » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:00 am

Wow great work! :D Thanks! :D
Gadders

Postby BazBean » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:39 am

very nice offering :D
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Re: RE: Simple Coffee Roast Database – free to anyone intere

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 am

CakeBoy wrote:Looks good GB and very decent of you to share. I'll make this thread into a sticky and if you wish we can sort out getting the file made available via the download area :D

Thanks Cakeboy. I have just tried to attach the file to a private message but the system reports that the file size is too big (CoffeeRoast.zip is 1 MB).

I would be grateful if you could advise how I can get the file to you or to upload it to the TMC download area.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Simple Coffee Roast Database – free to anyone in

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 am

You have PM :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Simple Coffee Roast Database – free to anyone in

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:14 am

If have just spotted that we have a slight technical hitch with the entire program download category of the download section, so although it appears thatGreenBean's database is available, it is not downloadable yet. I need to contact Phil to sort out the hosting of this section's content.

Meanwhile, GreenBean has emailed the database to me and I will be happy to manually forward it to any one who PMs a request or emails me at my TMC email address. Please note, it will need to be emailed (not PM'ed) due to the file size, so please include your email address in your message :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Version 1.1 update/bug fix

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 pm

It is fortuitous that the TMC software download page is malfunctioning at the moment as the original version 1.0 of this program has a critical bug when inserting data in the Advanced DB tabsheet. :oops: :oops:

A revised version 1.1 has been issued and, when the TMC software download is working,
will be available there.

If anyone has the original version and wishes to update before the TMC software download is working they can get a copy from Cakeboy or myself by supplying their email address in a PM.

Please note that the revised CoffeeRoast.zip, version 1.1 dated 19/6/07, includes the database file CoffeeRoast.mdb. If you have already added your own profile data you need to take care not to overwrite your version of CoffeeRoast.mdb. I suggest you make a copy of this file before unzipping the new version just in case.

Version Information

Version 1.0 issued to TMC on 17/6/07
Version 1.1 dated 19/6/07
Critical error on insert record in AdvancedDB view resolved
Code added to save any data in open edit controls on closing the program
Minor update to help file
Minor update to help messages
Dialog added to menu ‘File | backup data file’ to show backup files
and allow deletion

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Oh dear, if I could create anymore problems with this program I could get a job with Microsoft.

The updated version 1.1 of this program runs fine on the four computers I have available for testing but some users have kindly advised me that it does not run on their system. :oops:

I have made some changes (version 1.2) which I hope will solve the problem by improving compatibility with different systems but am unable to test these myself as the version 1.1 works fine for me. I have issued the new version to two users to see if this solves the problems.

If it does I will make the new version available to all.

Apologies to anyone who has wasted time on this.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:47 am

I have been advised that version 1.2 solves the incompatibility problems experienced with version 1.1.

If anyone is interested in this program and has not yet given up they can get the new version 1.2 by providing their email address.

I have sent the revised version to Cakeboy so, when the TMC software download is working, it will be available there.

I would be very grateful for any feedback on how you get on with the program, posted on the TMC forum or to me directly via PM or email.

GreenBean

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:31 am

Great initiative. I will certainly try it out asap. :)

Thanks GB!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Now available for download

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks to the people who have provided feedback on this coffee roast database program, I really appreciate your help. I am now up to version 1.4 which provides much improved error trapping and can be installed (unzipped) directly over previous versions without any danger of overwriting users own profile data.

I have also found some web space that allows the upload and download of compressed files so have made the program available for download together with a brief description, screen shots, version information etc. here.
[Edit URL changed]

Hopefully the program will be available in the TMC software download area when that is upgraded.

If you try the program please provide feedback, suggestions, comments and bug reports either on this forum or by email to green_bean@ntlworld.com.
Last edited by GreenBean on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBean

Postby egraaf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Sorry GreenBean, but I immediately get an error message when I start coffeeroast.exe:

CoffeeRoast.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

The standard Microsoft error.

I am running it on Windows XP home edition, extracted in directory H:\Program files\coffeeroast

I hope that helps.

Edwin
egraaf

RE: Now available for download

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:00 pm

I'm very pleased with the database, GB! I've got most of my roasts (retrospectively) in it and it's very practical and easy to access the data.

Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques