New Coffee Roast Database – multi-platform version

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi Edwin,

Thank you very much for the feedback and I am sorry the program does not run on your system. It does not matter what folder the files are located in as long as they are in the same folder. If they are not then the program would advise you without the error you describe.

I have tested each version of the program on the four computers I have available all are Windows XP but the program should work on Windows 2000 and above. All the test computers have a version of Microsoft office installed versions from 97 to 2000.

I have tried to produce a program that will manage the database without requiring Microsoft Access installed. The program uses and requires the Microsoft Data Access Components and I strongly suspect the problem is that these are not installed, or are too early a version on your computer. Windows update normally updates these components on systems with Microsoft Office installed and may well do so in other situations as well. I would be very grateful if you would advise if Microsoft Office is installed on your computer and if so what version. If this is the problem I will think about testing for these components before running the program to provide a more gracious message and exit if they are not installed.

The Microsoft Data Access Components are a free download from the Microsoft downloads site but I am reluctant to recommend that anyone installs these just to run this program.

I apologise to you and anyone else with this problem. Other people have confirmed that the program runs fine on their system. With more feedback I hope we can understand what systems it will not run on and then solve the problem or at least advise people before they download and try it.

Hi Bruce, Glad to hear you find the program useful. If you or, anyone else, have a version earlier than 1.3.1 I recommend you update it to version 1.4. This will not overwrite your existing data.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby egraaf » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi GreenBean,

Thank you creating CoffeeRoast, and for helping to get it working. It still won't work on my desktop PC, but that is probably a problem with the Microsoft Data Access components as you write in your message.

It does work fine on my laptop and I will try it out there.

Thanks again.

Edwin
egraaf

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi Edwin,

Thanks again for your feedback and I am glad the database is working well on your laptop.

I have sent you a pm with information on Microsoft Data Access components (MDAC) and the difficulties with correcting a corrupted installation. I really would not recommend even trying this unless you are having other serious problems with your computer.

Greenbean

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Programs required to run Coffee Roast Database

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:07 pm

I have now tested this program on about a dozen computers, all running Windows XP. It runs fine on all of them.

I have recently formatted the C: drive on one of my computers and done a clean install of the original version of Microsoft XP (Pro). With no other software installed the Coffee Roast Database works fine (except of course it can not export to Excel unless Excel is installed).

I also now have confirmation that the MDAC are distributed with Windows 2000 and above. For Windows XP the original release includes MDAC version 2.7 and the latest update is 2.8.1. I have tested the database with both 2.7 and 2.81 and it runs fine with either.

So it can now be definitively stated that this program does not require Microsoft Office, or any of its components, such as Access to run successfully. In fact it does not require any other software at all other than any version of Windows XP. It may well work on other operating systems but has not been tested on them.

I have read of issues with the MDAC on 64 bit systems. This program has not been tested (by me) on any 64 bit systems.

It is known that some computers have corrupted versions of the MDAC installed, some suggest it is as high as 3% of computers. This program will not run on these computers.

GreenBean

Postby johnwx » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi GreenBean thanks for your efforts with thr database. very useful tool it is.
I'm using v1.4 and have a couple of small issues, may be the interface between keyboard and seat :oops: if not here they are:
Cannot enter 2nd crack time as anything but a whole number.
Limited to roast data of 22 mins.
I'll keep playing an ds ee what else I can much up :wink:
Cheers
johnwx

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:35 am

Hi Johnwx, Thanks for the feedback. The issue with second crack only accepting integer values is a bug. The example database file has this field set to integer. :oops: This has existed in every version of the database file! I did not spot it as I stop my roasts just before second crack.

The 22 minute limit on roast duration is a deliberate design decision. The general consensus, and my own experience is that roasts longer than about 19 - 20 minutes are not desirable. Best results seem to be between 16 and 18 minutes for most beans. If your roasts take longer than about 19 minutes then I would suggest you consider smaller batch sizes.

To correct the second crack issue I need to issue an updated version of the database file CoffeeRoast.mdb. This easily solves the problem for anyone making a clean install of this program. I will do this in the near future. The program file CoffeeRoast.exe does not need any change it will happily work with the existing or updated database.

I need to think about the best way to update existing database files where people have entered their own data. I will report back on this after giving it some thought

GreenBean

Update available to fix integer value bug for second crack

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:27 pm

An update is now available for the coffee roast database, version 1.4.2 here.
[Edit URL changed]

The example database in this version has been corrected to allow decimal values for second crack. This resolves the issue for new clean installations but will not overwrite existing database files to protect any data added by users.

For people who have added their own data to the database the program file has also been modified. It now checks the database in use and offers to backup the database file and then correct it.

For new installations just unzip all included files to one folder, create a shortcut for CoffeeRoast.exe and place it on the desktop. For updating existing installations unzip it over the previous installation (it will not overwrite your data) then run CoffeeRoast.exe to correct your data file.
Last edited by GreenBean on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBean

RE: Update available to fix integer value bug for second cra

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:29 pm

Apologies all, especially GreenBean, as this this was not placed on the TMC servers for download as quickly as I promised. Now that GreenBean has placed it on a server for download, I have fixed the link in the TMC download area. It will now take you all directly to GreenBean's site. So sorry for the delay.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Any further comments, suggestions, bug reports?

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:53 pm

The last bug report I have received related to version 1.4. I tidied up the program a week ago and have been waiting to see if there were any further bug reports to be fixed before issuing an updated version.

As no bug reports have been received I have released version 1.4.3. This is available by clicking the link in the downloads area or the links in previous posts above.

I would be very grateful to receive any further bug reports or comments/suggestions for improvements.

GreenBean

RE: Any further comments, suggestions, bug reports?

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:02 am

Hi GreenBean

I want to give you some feedback. I like the curve and how all information is in one view.

I do not know how to recall an old profile, is this possible at all?

If I may make some suggestions. I tend to roast blends. The DB is more geared towards single origin roasts. Secondly I do not see how I can correct mistakes (e.g. typos) in saved profiles. Thirdly, I would love to be able to keep track of my stash of beans. But that is probably asking for too much! :)

You did a fantastic job. I am impressed! :D

Cheers
Eward
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Eward,

Thank you very much for your comments, suggestions and feedback. I think your suggestion to keep track of your stock of beans is an excellent one. The next revision of the program will add a stock quantity field for each bean variety. On saving a new profile the stock quantity of the relevant beans will be reduced by the roast quantity. Is this what you envisaged or did you have other ideas.

For roasting pre blends I was expecting that you would simply create a bean variety for each pre blend. For post blends each constituent would be roasted and recorded separately. The program caters for this now without any changes. Please let me know if I have misunderstood your requirement or if you have any other suggestions.

It was envisaged that, once you have saved a profile, you would be unlikely to want to change it. To protect saved profiles from accidental changes, editing is normally disabled when viewing profiles in the Roast Profiles page. This is explained in the help file. To edit an existing profile select menu options | Edit existing profile. Alternately full editing is allowed in the Profiles list view page (was called Advanced DB view).

I am a little puzzled that you ask is it possible to recall an old profile. Each profile you enter by clicking ‘create’ entering the profile then clicking ‘save’ is entered into the database and is always available unless you deliberately choose to delete it. If you mean how do you navigate from the currently displayed profile to any other profile please click menu option Help | Contents and look at the section on navigation.

In summary the two main ways to navigate to a particular profile are:-

1. From the main Roast Profiles page use the navigation control in the bottom left of the window. If you hover the mouse over this control a hint will display the function of each button. Use the arrow keys to scroll through the profiles.
2. A quicker way to select a particular profile is to switch to Profiles list view (was called Advanced DB View) by clicking the page tab. This shows a grid control with one line for each saved profile. Select the one you want by clicking with the mouse. This selection is also reflected in the Roast profiles page. If you click on the Roast profiles tab you will see it now displays the selected profile.

I use this program on a laptop and enter the profile data as the roast progresses. This allows me to compare the current roast progress against my chosen ‘target roast profile’ in tabular and chart form. I find this very useful in predicting when the roast will reach first or second crack and when to stop it. This has helped me improve the consistency of my roasts. Previous versions of this program have required that each roast profile date/time is unique. The way I use the program they are always unique. For users who wish to enter a number of profiles at one time I am aware that attempts to assign exactly the same date and time to multiple profiles will result in an error message being displayed. The next revision of the program (to be released soon) will accept identical date/time entries on multiple roasts without complaint.

Has anyone else got comments or suggestions for inclusion in the next revision?

I hope the above helps but if I have misunderstood any of your questions or comments please let me know.

Greenbean

GreenBean

Major update to Cofee roast database

Postby GreenBean » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks again to those who have taken the trouble to provide me with feedback on this program. A major update is now available incorporating the suggestions and comments I have received.

Please visit the TMC software download section if you wish to have more information, or to download the program. As usual I would be very grateful for any feedback.

A brief summary of the changes follows:

Version 1.5 dated 2/8/07

Previous versions of this program have required that each roast profile date/time is unique. If users attempted to assign exactly the same date and time to multiple profiles an error message would be displayed. The program now accepts identical date/time entries on multiple roasts without complaint.

Chart display of profiles completely rewritten to display correctly even if data points are left blank. For the chart to display correctly on previous versions it was necessary to add values for all data points from the start to end of the roast.

Editing of existing profiles is now allowed by default in the Profile data page. In addition the profile temperature values are also offered for editing.

Preferences can now be set for disabling/enabling editing of existing profiles and for warnings before a profile is saved.

Profiles List view now sorts in descending order of date time by default to show the most recent profile first. Clicking on the date time column header reverses the direction of sort.

New fields added to the database for ambient temperature and bean stock quantity. The stock quantity for each bean variety is automatically reduced by the quantity used in each roast. If a stock quantity is not set it will indicate a negative number representing the total quantity used.

Page tab added to optionally connect to a profile sharing website providing tools to upload and download profiles. Note this does not connect to the internet unless the user requests this by clicking a connect button. It is recognised that comparing profiles between users in this way has limited usefulness even when using the same roaster. Many variables are involved in roasting coffee and many can not be controlled in a home roasting situation. It has been decided to provide this facility as an experiment to see if people find it useful. Personally I would be keen to see profiles from other Gene Café users.

GreenBean

RE: Major update to Cofee roast database

Postby Sunnyfield » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 am

On saving a new profile the stock quantity of the relevant beans will be reduced by the roast quantity. Is this what you envisaged or did you have other ideas.

That would be fantastic!

For roasting pre blends I was expecting that you would simply create a bean variety for each pre blend.

Actually, what I was expecting is that you can simply click and select the beans in your blend, rather than having to type in the blend itself. The latter creates redundant information, as every blend will create a new "bean type", instead of reusing existing bean types.

I never noticed the cue cards popping up when hovering over fields, my mistake. I only went into the help once and I got the impression that the help function was not finished yet. I will have a closer look! :-)

I will download the updated version soon! :)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Eward,

Thanks again for your advice. I take your point regarding pre blends and will give some thought to the best way to implement your suggestion.

The help file is complete and is a standard windows HTML help file.

GreenBean

Suggestion/Feature Request/Question

Postby Scoobs » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi Greenbean

Thanks for the awesome software, have been using it for the last week with my Gene Cafe and will be uploading my profiles as soon as I have a bit more experience. :)

Once suggestion that I would like to make is to add a roasted weight for the beans into the database. I believe that this would be quite useful for getting a good idea of the moisture contents of the beans as well as the darkness of the roast.

Regards

JohnB
Scoobs

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques