New Coffee Roast Database – multi-platform version

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:59 pm

er... 42?
:wink:
Just in case you were still having problems getting it to run!
Gouezeri

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Gouezeri wrote:er... 42?
:wink:
Just in case you were still having problems getting it to run!

Thanks for that but I have it running fine on Mac OS X, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Linux. It gives the answer 49 on all of these though not 42! :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:41 am

So please summarise for me how it got to work on a mac (simple steps for s simple man) :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby EricC » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 pm

Steve wrote:So please summarise for me how it got to work on a mac (simple steps for s simple man) :)

Here you go :

There weren't many steps in installing it.

This is what I did: [Words stolen from Andrew AKA alwrjp]

. download the distribution (tar.gz);
. doubleclick on it to expand it; this gives the CoffeeRoastDB folder;
. open the folder, and doubleclick on the jar file CoffeeRoastDB.jar.

The program then started with a message that it would use the
example database, and worked as expected.

Best of luck ....

All the Best
Eric
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby GreenBean » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Steve wrote:So please summarise for me how it got to work on a mac (simple steps for s simple man) :)

The program did and does run fine on suitable Mac’s with Java SE 1.6 or later installed. Currently Apple have only made this available for 64 bit Intel based Mac’s.

On a suitable Mac ensure you are running OS X version 10.5.5 or above then simply install the latest version of Java from Apple Updates (currently Java SE 1.6 update 2) and then set it as the default version by running:

/Applications/Utilities/Java/Java\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/Java\ Preferences

The problems Eric had getting it to run were down to a problem on his computer, no changes to the program were required.

Although the program runs on Mac’s there are a few issues affecting OS X only to be resolved as follows:

1. There is an issue with data entry on OS X. On all other operating systems pressing the tab key will accept the value entered in a table and move to and select the next cell for data entry. Currently on OS X it is necessary to select the next cell with the mouse and click it to open the cell editor. This makes data entry more of a pain.

I will get to this soon and hopefully find a way to make the OS X data entry the same as other operating systems.

2. There was an issue with the Options Dialog font selection combobox not showing and other very minor issues with a few titles not fully showing. These issues are resolved in the latest version which I will issue as soon as I have sorted the data entry issue.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:36 pm

Ahh ok only 64 bit's :( Come on Apple, get the java act together.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:00 am

Steve wrote:Ahh ok only 64 bit's :( Come on Apple, get the java act together.

I am no expert on the Apple computer range but I think all their current range are 64 bit. Any modern Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor is 64 bit and suitable (others may also be). You can check by running applications/utilities/System Profiler if it lists the processor as Core 2 Duo it is 64 bit. If yours is not 64 bit is it time for an upgrade? :D

GreenBean

Version 1.3 now available

Postby GreenBean » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 am

A new version of CoffeeRoastDB is now available here.

This version resolves the final data entry and layout issues which mainly affect OS X but also improve the look of the program on all operating systems. I am not aware of any outstanding issues with this program so hopefully this will be the last version for some time.

A few screen shots of the program running on OS X have been added to my web site. If you wish to view these click the above link and then click screen shots.

Version information follows:

CoffeeRoastDB Version 1.3 issued on 27/11/08

1. Modified data entry code so that the tab key on OS X provides similar functionality to other operating systems. Pressing the tab key in the temperature profile table or the roast information table accepts the current entered value and moves to the next cell with the editor open for editing and any current contents of the cell selected for overwriting. The enter key provides similar functionality closing the current edit on one press and opening editing on the next cell with the next press.

2. Various cosmetic changes to the layout mainly to improve compatibility on OS X but also to improve the look of the program in all operating systems.

GreenBean

Postby Scoobs » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi

Thanks for writing this great software :D , I have been looking at the coffeesnobs.com.au and noticed that they are using a Digital Multimeter (DMM) with a serial interface to automate their temperature logging. Do you have any plans to automate the logging of roast temperature data into your software? It would be a really cool feature to have (unless it does it already and I am just behind the times :D.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1195625092/0#4

Thanks

JohnB
Scoobs

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 am

Hi John, I am glad you like the program and I have been asked this question several times already. It would indeed be great to have the temperature profile and other parameters logged automatically and to go further and drive the roaster directly to a given profile.

Unfortunately none of the home roasters available provides a standard interface to achieve this. Some individuals do of course add their own temperature probes and hardware to read temperatures and these can be interfaced to a computer, through any of the usual interfaces, and so to the program but the lack of any standards dissuades me from providing this facility at the current time. As I understand it the Coffee Snobs program only works with one particular digital multimeter.

With the different hardware to read the temperatures and different interfaces to the computer this becomes a minefield. If I provided a facility for one setup I would get many requests for other setups. Testing (when I do not have the hardware) and support would be a nightmare!

As and when the main home roasters provide a standard interface I will certainly be looking to provide both logging and driving to a selected profile.

In the meantime I will give some thought to providing a standard interface to the Coffee Roast Database so that it can accept temperature measurement information from a separate program. I (or any interested individuals) could then write simple separate programs to read the data from any particular hardware and pass it to the Coffee Roast Database. This is just thinking aloud at this stage so please do not hold me to this.

GreenBean

Postby lukas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:12 pm

That would be a killer, greenbean!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Apologies to anyone unable to access my site in recent weeks. I have been busy with other things and it is many weeks since I checked the site hosting the Cupping and Coffee Roast Databases. They were down today and could have been for some time.:oops:

Everything is back working now. If you still get the "page not found message" please empty the cache on your web browser to force it to load the page from the web.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 pm

This thread is now very long in the tooth. Could I ask our moderators to unsticky it and let it drift gently into oblivion. :D

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:00 am

Aye aye Cap'n she'll gently sail off into the Sea of Java :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques