Go ahead and drool, my (hopefully) new roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Go ahead and drool, my (hopefully) new roaster

Postby zapty » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:11 am

She is up and running.
After taking her completely apart, cleaning, adjusting, oiling, testing the motor, figuring out the electrics, rewiring it and having the three elements re-coiled, a stand made for it and put back together again I have now done a few roasts with it.
The little 3 barrel Probat works like a dream and roasts really well. No surprise there as that is what it was built for, it maybe old (1951) but in it's day it was a state of the art professional piece of equipment.
I am running the 3 heating elements with the help of a variac in order to have some more control over the output.
The old motor still runs like a dream.
It is a joy to operate and experiment with.
This little machine makes it much easier to experiment with different roast levels.

Should I now keep this little jewel or ....sell it?
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

RE: Re: RE: Go ahead and drool, my (hopefully) new roaster

Postby lukas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:42 am

Wow zapty, I'm jealous! Would you sell it to me for the price you got it for? :evil:

What about conversion to gas? too expensive?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby zapty » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Hey Lukas, No. I don't think I would sell it for what I bought it for, I have sunk some cash in it already to get it going (elements rewired, stand made etc). The conversion to gas is pretty expensive, yes but I decided to keep it original, exactly like it was built so many years ago.
If it had been gas the conversion to electrics would have been expensive also.
I'm glad I decided to leave the roasters original design intact.

Have you used the Alessi coffeemaker yet?
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby lukas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Yes, indeed! For some reason the Coffee I got was too cold. I guess it's the short heatup phase 'cause of the wide bottom. Fixable if you preheat the thing :). It's making me a really nice cup of coffee every now and then.

That evil smiley above also meant to be an evil grinning smiley ;), I hope you enjoy the Probat and of course I hope you keep it. Is the profile controllable? How long can you stretch the roast? Awww, I want one :)
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby zapty » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Yeah, the profile is very controllable, airflow, temperature, drum revolutions, you name it....
I'm still in the testing phase so....
zapty

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:36 am

This is just fantastic Zapty! I am very glad you did not convert it into a gas-powered roaster. Antique masterpieces like these need to be kept in their original (albeit reconditioned) state.

If you have the space for it, I would definitely keep it.

Are the original specs 220V AC? What is the power consumption (i.e. how many Watts)?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby grib » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:00 pm

So where do you guys come across such great old roasters, I'm probably gonna need an upgrade in the next few months and I may as well go big. Intelligensia have some great looking machines btw, anyone else agree?
grib

Postby zapty » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:02 pm

Well, I started out with roasting 100 gram batches per barrel, then 150 grams and now have progressed to 200 grams per barrel with still excellent results.
I tend to roast the first barrel to just in to full first crack, the second barrel till right after first crack and the third barrel up to full second crack.
I then cool and blend all three roast levels together in order to have the full range of flavours from the beans.
Works really well. The Probat heats up in a jiffy and produces excellent roasts, one roast after another.

Draws a lot of comments from people too as in the summer I tend to roast with my garage door open...
The whole street smells of coffee....
zapty

Postby lukas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Patrick, you just made me want to go back to your place immediatly! :)
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby zapty » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:55 pm

Right on Lukas, I've got some nice whiskey we didn't get in to last time...give me a call when you are within 20 kilometers and I'll guide you in...
zapty

Postby lukas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:46 pm

grzzssttrrrr! Okay ;)
Lukas

--
lukas

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques