Go ahead and drool, my (hopefully) new roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Go ahead and drool, my (hopefully) new roaster

Postby zapty » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:09 am

I would agree with your 100 gram estimate although I have used one in the past with a charge of up to 120 grams no probs..
I have to wait and see once it gets here.
I'm not quite sure about the electric or gas though.
This was a deal concluded in less then 5 minutes and I didn't want to ask too many questions in case the seller would awaken and start to investigate in order to answer them.
The price was so incredible that I bought it sight unseen and had it removed from the bid site.Time was of the essence as the seller had a previous weekend outing planned and won't be back till after the weekend and I didn't want anyone else to discover it and start a bidding war...
The nice thing about these is that they are built to last and this one looks to be in excellent condition for it's age.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby bruceb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:48 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that these are high-current heater switches, one for each drum. They may have 2 or 3 positions for different heat ranges. Gas-fired roasters have gas valves where these switches are located.
Attachments
prob_198a.jpg
prob_198a.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby zapty » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:53 pm

Because of these switches I also thought they must be for electrical heaters.
Will wait and see.
When you pointed out they normally made no electrical sample roasters I started to doubt...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby phil2spill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Looks great 8) . It should make post-blending a more convenient option than it is with a single roaster I imagine.
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby Gadders » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:04 am

You did a great job setting steve's on fire brucey :P
Gadders

Postby Joris » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Zapty... you keep surprising me, gratz !! :) I do hope you receive it before the meet, would love to play around with that one.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby zapty » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:27 am

Thanks Joris, am looking forward to receiving it.
See ya on June 30th...
zapty

Postby zapty » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:37 am

My new baby is arriving tomorrow...gone be a revelation hopefully.
zapty

Postby zapty » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:33 pm

The Probat B3 sample roaster has arrived and is in amazingly good condition.
Probat Emmerich has already been contacted and e-mails between them and myself have been hot and heavy these last 24 hours.
A voltage converter has been ordered in order to get the old original drive motor going again.
This machine is not only built like a tank but is at the same time very good looking.
A mix between a female Russian discus thrower and Miss World....
I love her already...
zapty

Postby lukas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm

drool
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Ohhh, pics please Zapty :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Hey Cakes, I've uploaded three already.
Will take some more soon once I am working on it.
Looks like you're belly up?
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Yeah Zapty, too much cake :( . Sorry, I was meaning the roasts when you get going. I realised after posting that it looked like I was asking for more of the machine ...... makes me look madder than ever :roll: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:50 pm

Found out a little more about the roaster today from Probat, it was ordered on Januari 22nd 1951 for de Lewy brother's in The Hague. That means my little baby is 56 years old...
It was used for a couple years by them and then when the roastery closed it was sitting forgotten in a warehouse for some decades till the person who sold it to me got his hands on it.
He never used it nor did he know the value of it.

I got all the mechanical parts working today, the old electrical motor still works like a charm and nary a squeak comes out of the roasters drive and exhaust assembly after all those years.
It still has the original leather drive belt!!!

Now once I get around to checking out the rest of the roaster and possibly converting it (Probat is giving me excellent advise and service) I'll be having a little dream roaster...
zapty

Postby dliefbroer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm

I will be sooooo drooling over this machine during the meet!
ECM Giotto Classic - Mazzer Mini E - Gene Cafe - Bodum French Press - Bialetti 1 cup Moka Pot - Lava Deluxe
dliefbroer

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques