Monsoon Malabar is cursed

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Monsoon Malabar is cursed

Postby MKSwing » Mon May 31, 2004 12:34 pm

Hello,
I just roasted 140g of Indian Mosoon Malabar from "you know who" and I can't get an even roast. At least this time I didn't burn the batch...
So, is it me or this bean never gets an even roast with air roasters ?

On the pic, the uneveness is exagerated by the flash of my ixus but you get the idea...
Attachments
monsoon_malabar_petit.jpg
uneven batch of monsoon malabar (140g)
monsoon_malabar_petit.jpg (176.38 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby phil » Mon May 31, 2004 12:55 pm

Don't panic Stephane, in my experience stuff like monsooned beans never comes out totally even. I think it's something to do with the variation in drying between parts of the sack when the beans are monsooned, or something like that anyway.

Your picture does look very uneven though. :?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Mon May 31, 2004 1:27 pm

phil wrote:Don't panic Stephane, in my experience stuff like monsooned beans never comes out totally even. I think it's something to do with the variation in drying between parts of the sack when the beans are monsooned, or something like that anyway.

Well, yes, I thought it would come from the process used for this bean, maybe they've more water than others.

phil wrote:Your picture does look very uneven though. :?

Yes but is is not so uneven, the beans reacted strangely to the flash. In reality, they look more like usual uneven roasts if you see what I mean.

Oh and another thing I dislike with these beans is that they produce a LOT of smoke, incredible. In the beginning, I thought it was steam but then, once the roasting ended I left the room and came back and... WOW what a smoke. I saw this when I first roasted this bean but as I burned them I thought it was normal, now, I know these are not beans I'll use in the future unless I find the taster very special. Definitly not a bean to roast at (in the) home :x
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby phil » Mon May 31, 2004 1:36 pm

Re the smoke, yes I know what you mean although the Hottop's filter does reduce this quite a lot. I can roast these beans at home without problems but they are *much* smokier than some.

The pulped natural Brazils tend to be similarly smokey, I find.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon May 31, 2004 1:38 pm

Oh and actually the monsooning is a drying process I think. The beans aren't left out in the rain! :lol: (not that I thought you thought that, just having a little joke - sorry no offence).

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Mon May 31, 2004 2:04 pm

phil wrote:Oh and actually the monsooning is a drying process I think. The beans aren't left out in the rain! :lol: (not that I thought you thought that, just having a little joke - sorry no offence).

? ?? ????? ???????????? :?:
Oh man ! Oh I acually thought that !!! And I thought this was quite bizarre, wetting the beans... So now, I just read again the description and it's moist monsoon wind that go through beans, which makes waaay more sense :oops:
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby Steve » Mon May 31, 2004 2:19 pm

I cant get this baby even either. Its as is said above. A mare to roast but unusual and worth it when you get it right. Take it well into second crack for a dark to city roast for best results. The smoke is also a problem I've had stack fires with it because of the chaff and smoke.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:53 pm

What roaster are you using ? What's your profile Stephane ?

I usually have to pick out a couple of light beans with Monsson Malabar, but by 2nd crack it's generally evened out using a straight line profile over a 12+ minute roast. Certainly not the easiest to get right though as everyone's already said.

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby MKSwing » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:09 pm

mnemonix wrote:What roaster are you using ? What's your profile Stephane ?

I use an Imex so it is quite difficult for me to hear the 2nd crack. Usually, after 1st crack I just look at the beans color and until my first MM batch, I had no problem. As I had an uneven roast, I waited, waited, and burned the coffee :x
So, the second time I didn't wait for all the beans to be even and it tasted good.

mnemonix wrote:I usually have to pick out a couple of light beans with Monsson Malabar, but by 2nd crack it's generally evened out using a straight line profile over a 12+ minute roast. Certainly not the easiest to get right though as everyone's already said.

By picking out, do you mean stopping the roast, opening the roaster, getting out of the roaster the less roasted beans and restarting the roast ? Isn't that cooling and warming cycle added influence the taste ?
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby quink » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:29 pm

If your having problems hearing the second crack with your Imex, grab some oven gloves, the kind that are linked, not the two seperate ones, fold them in half anfd wrap it around the metal part of the imex chamber. It quiets the thing right down. Be careful that you dont burn them, I did.
Just saw this smiley and had to put it in :drink:
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby phil » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:52 pm

quink wrote:Just saw this smiley and had to put it in

You can blame Joey for that one. I've got more but haven't got around to putting them up yet.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:22 pm

phil wrote:You can blame Joey for that one. I've got more but haven't got around to putting them up yet.

Bring them on, Phil! You won't regret it :lol:

BTW, I took a pic from this Indian Monsooned Malabar which is roasted to perfection. I love this coffee. It has a nice creamy body. If I would homeroast one, this would be a color reference for me....

Good luck!
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby phil » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:50 pm

Never was your by-line more appropriate Joey! :D

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:29 am

MKSwing wrote:By picking out, do you mean stopping the roast, opening the roaster, getting out of the roaster the less roasted beans and restarting the roast ? Isn't that cooling and warming cycle added influence the taste ?

:shock: no just picking out the odd 1 or 2 light beans at the end of the roast - i'm quite fussy and usually do a quick quality control pick through most of my roasts though.

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby tisri » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:03 pm

Eeffoc wrote:I cant get this baby even either. Its as is said above. A mare to roast but unusual and worth it when you get it right. Take it well into second crack for a dark to city roast for best results. The smoke is also a problem I've had stack fires with it because of the chaff and smoke.

I just roasted some (didn't see this far down before posting my own remarks) and found it to be almost chaff-free. Even after 20 minutes the beans weren't particularly dark and there was a big overlap between first and second cracks.

I've got a good feeling about this bean, but can't quite figure out why. Hopefully come the tasting I'll be vindicated!
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques