What do you think of this profile and the results ?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What do you think of this profile and the results ?

Postby Ton » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm

I think I am on the right track now with my i-Roast 2, but would like to hear your opinions about my profile and results.
I settled now on a 1,5KOhm resistor (1KOhm was too fast imo and 2,2KOHm too slow and used the following profile:
1) 4min.- 160* 2) 3min. - 180* 3) 2min. - 210* 4) 4min. - 224* 5) 2min. - 240* (all in*C).
I measured the temps with a thermocouple in the bean mass. 1st crack was after around 6.45min. at a temperature of around 208* and 2nd after around 10.45min. at 228*. I stopped at 12.30 when tiny oil drops started to appear. In fact I can skip stage 5 I think.
Of course taste will prove if everything is right, but I would like to hear opnions of fellow roasters.
Ton
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm not sure but these timings are well off compared to my Hottop (not to say that there's anything wrong with them of course). Typically with most beans I can expect Ist crack around 15.50 to 16.50 and 2nd crack coming in at 17.00 to 18.35. It does vary of course but is very consistent. I'm aware that my roaster does have a long ramp up to roasting temp which would account for the longer time to first crack, but it is the time between first and second that I find odd about you timings.
With yours, first crack seems to come in really soon and there is a large gap between this and second. The main thing I suppose is, how does it taste?
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Ton » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:56 pm

Other i-Roast owners ?
Is gap between 1st and 2nd indeed too long, taking into account that it is an i-Roast and not a Hottop/Drum Roaster ?
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

Postby Superlight » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:26 am

Resurrecting this topic !
I've been using my i-roast2 since August last year and been getting some decent results from it, pretty close to the roasted beans I was sourcing from H-B but the roast time seems short (circa 7-8 mins or so and I want to see if I can extend this to improve the end result, ie the espresso in the cup.
So, I wonder whether I should just try making up a profile with lower temps (indicated temps as I'm now aware of the issue of the display temp not being what is actually happening) or do I source a 1.5K resistor ?
I generally roast in the garage where, this winter, I guess temps have bene anywhere between zero and +10c or so.
Superlight

Postby ivdp » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 am

First question to ask, do you think your coffee will taste better when your roasts takes longer?
Since you don't know yet, do some longer roasts:
roast without the metal filter - more heat will escape, so longer roast or
do not close the upper lid, but leave it vibrating on top of the chaff collector - air will escape, longer roast or
roast less than 150 grams - more heat will escape - longer roast

If you are convinced you want a longer roast, than you can decide what definate method to choose from.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Superlight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Ok thanks for the suggestions : will do a few roasts and see what the end results are.
Superlight

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques