Found the culprit ?(i-Roast chaff collector base gets loose)

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Found the culprit ?(i-Roast chaff collector base gets loose)

Postby Ton » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:03 am

After closely examining the roasting chamber with the chaff collector base locked on it, I think I have found where the problem lies, although I don't see a solution (apart from getting a new pot and chaff collector base).
There are 7 tabs at the top of the metal band. 3 of them support the chaff collector base and 4 are slightly rising and slide in the grooves of the base. When the base is locked on the pot and when I look at it from the bottom, I see that at least 1 of the rising tabs is hardly supported by the groove in the base, no matter how I put the base on the pot. In other words, the diameter of the metal ring with these tabs is a tiny little bit smaller than the base. Now I can see why it gets loose. With the vibration, at a certain moment the tab slides off the groove, the whole gets more loose and bingo !
I tried to unscrew the small bolt, that holds the band together, so that the diameter gets a little bit larger, but then the whole becomes sloppy.
Btw, I also see that these tabs don't disappear completely under the grooves. About 1mm (lengthwise) stays visible. It is as if the base has to be turned a few degrees further, but that is not possible. However this is maybe "normal" ?
Update I added a not so good picture ( battery almost empty), but you can see the hardly supported tab at the bottom and the groove at the top
Attachments
PC210084.JPG
PC210084.JPG (160.32 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Rancilio Miss Silvia (P.I.D.'ed), Mazzer Mini E, Solis Maestro Plus, Bodum Santos, Bodum Chambord FP, Krups Moka Brew, Aeropress, Gene Cafe.
Ton

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques