My Ambex 5kg Baby Has Landed

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Raf » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:53 am

Steve, nnnnice machine!
Love the red colour!
Too bad about the little defects you mentioned.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Importing from the UK

Postby phil » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:47 am

Well Portugal is in the EEC, so you can forget the customs fees and taxes side of things if you buy within the EEC. You can buy from Mercanta by the bag at the same price as a UK roaster bar the shipping costs. They are a pukka wholesaler and importer. They don't supply home roasters - they supply the guys who supply homeroasters, eh Steve? I was lucky enough to visit them a couple of weeks ago and as I say I was very impressed with their attitude to sustainability, fair trade etc. That's not to say that all of their stuff is in this category, but it's up to you what you buy.

Sorry to keep banging on about Mercanta, there are other guys around (I can immediately think of alternatives in the UK, Germany and Italy) but I know you'll be pleased with the stuff they sell (especially the Brazilian Bourbon Fazenda Cachoeira, which is organic I think).

Anyway, whatever you go with, the best of luck to you, and please be sure to keep us informed of every step along the way. :)
phil
Founder Member

Re: Importing from the UK

Postby DrZeus » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:58 am

I just emailed them, asking a few questions. I'll let you know what the result is. Thanks for the push. :)
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:10 pm

Well how long has this been going on. I've finally got the roaster lit today (I know its been a trial) after five calls to america (with the time difference I've been up the roastery at 9 at night to make the calls) and waiting for parts to come accross the water and waiting for corgi people to check what I've done, I gave up on them and tried some thing else and it lit. The stack still needs completley fixing but its nearly ready. Well the plan is to do the first roast when you guys come up next week, a celebrate the start of the next chapter, what do you think, will you all hold my hand
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:09 pm

Good idea! Are you going to smack a bottle of champagne against it? ;-)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:38 pm

Steve I had no idea you were going through such trials. Glad you're coming out the other side. After all this do you reckon the money saved on Ambex (versus say Probat) was actually worth it?

Sure we'll hold your hand. Only that though .... :lol:

Sorry, I'm known for being a DOM :oops:
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:49 pm

I'm still pleased I chose ambex its a top machine (if it works). And if it doesnt its a lovely paper weight :D
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:00 pm

I am really impressed with the machine after having seen it. Steve reminded me of Jamie Oliver: throw in a bit of this, and a bit of that. Let it roast for a while and chuck the beans out if you think it is ready, mate! ;)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:24 am

I've got braver with the machine now and its more and more like jamie ;) Pukka
Steve
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques