Basic Roasting queries.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 am

I didn't really want to admit this, but many years ago I did the same, but without the need to manually agitate the beans. I put a switch in between the heating element and the power connector so I could turn on and off the power just to the element. I found it very difficult to get reproducible results with this and quickly binned it. If you do want to try it you may find it isn't even necessary to cut any wires. On the popper I had the heater was attached by normal spade connectors so I could just put the same connectors on the switch and insert it in between the terminals. It will still be necessary to drill a hole in the housing for the switch, or alternatively put the switch in a separate housing of some kind.

I hope that it goes without saying that the mains plug must be pulled before opening up the machine or making any modifications to it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby misalda » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Let me know how you get on it worked for me for a good while, at least until I was sure I was past the "fad" stage and invested in an actual roaster......good luck hope it stays dry for you :wink:
Fracino Cherub, Eureka Zenith 65E, Cafe Gene Roaster, Aeropress, Napoletana.

Too much power is impossible!!
misalda

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm

I thought bringing this back to life might produce some hot-air-gun roasting, I tried using a popcorn roaster. Ok, it works, but very small quantity and in hindsight after a number of years using a hot air gun into stainless steel colander/bowl combinations I find the popcorn thing was just a useful transition.

Most comments in my direction have been surprise that I can get the best out beans with a hot air gun, i have managed to compare my roasts with professional roasts. I'm happy I have managed to gain some skill and nose for the roast.

Photos coming up soon, I need to go to my roasting-shed to do a sample roast for you.

EDIT.

Just realised I have a thread running on my roast method so i'll stick another photo of some roasted beans onto that thread.

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=8886
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques