mottled roasts

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

mottled roasts

Postby mnemonix » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:07 pm

i had a couple of mottled looking roasts this evening. good consistency between the beans, but the surface of each bean was mottled with darker areas & fine lines almost as if wrinkled. i wouldn't say it was scorching. I've seen it on a few columbian roasts i've done in the past but this was kona and a kenyan.

longish roasts, 6 mins to first 12 to finish (my first computer controlled roasts as it happens so I had good heater control !). Is it a feature ? or a defect due to insufficient time spent in some critical temperature region ?

thanks for any help,

chris.
mnemonix

Postby Raf » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:08 pm

I've had that in the IMEX as well. When it happens, I always presume that the roast has stalled and didn't reach second crack, but I might be wrong. I'll be curious to hear the pro's!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby maurice » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:20 am

Well documented problem with computer controlled roasting. Intermittently the computer attempts to print to the roaster. Under a magnifying glass the 'fine lines' on the beans will probably turn out to be the contents of your clipboard! See if IMEX have an updated driver...':?'
maurice

Postby mnemonix » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:55 am

no, it's intentional, closer examination will reveal every bean to be barcoded with it's roast date.

to answer my own question, a search of the alt.coffee archives suggests too long prior to first crack may be the cause but it's by no means a definitive answer so i'm still hoping someone knows for sure.

chris.
mnemonix

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:03 pm

I noticed it before, but never thought anything of it. Natural?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques