IMEX how to roast better

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

IMEX how to roast better

Postby Sunnyfield » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:56 pm

I roasted 150g of Yirg. Just after 1st crack the IMEX started to stall. Like previous times, I moved the roaster closer to the wall so that less hot air could flow out. This got the temperature going up again, and I managed to stretch my roast to over 11 minutes. The roast was very dark, I think I may have gone more than a minute into rolling 2nd. I am not sure, because I couldn't hear it, but the smell was an indicator.

Anyway, the resulting beans are so fragrant! Just like Phil's roast. I have to experiment more with temperature.

The manual says that you can stretch a roast by using fewer beans. So I may give that a try next week.

To be continued...
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

1st attempt

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:27 pm

I roasted 120g of Brazilian Bourbon instead of the usual 150g. This extended the roast by about 2 minutes from just over 7min to 9min. And it does make a huge difference. As Phil noticed my original roasts are burnt on the outside, and still pale on the inside. This time the bean was much more evenly roasted, and the ground coffee was nice and dark. I even had to adjust my grinder a little bit coarser, like I had to do with Phil's roast.

Unfortunately the beans were a little bit too dark (I do not seem to get rid of this nasty habit). :oops:

It is improving, but I think I will try a 100g batch soon... imagine, 100g green == 80g roasted, so just under 5 shots per roast. Ideally I want the roast to take at least 12 minutes. That is probably the best the IMEX can do with my current setup.

ES
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques