air popper experiment

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

air popper experiment

Postby DrZeus » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:53 am

Yesterday, I roasted some Colombian La Cacia in my air popper. As usual, my 7 year-old son assisted me as "crack alarm" so that I don't miss the 1st and 2nd cracks. :)

As I filled the measuring scoop, I commented that, after this roast, I'd only have enough Columbian left for a half-batch. My son asked why I didn't just put it all in there, to which I replied that it would be too heavy for the air to properly move the beans around. His reply was "Why don't you just keep stirring them with a wooden spoon?"

:!: :!: :!:

So, I put in 1.5x the normal amount of beans, turned it on, and stirred. It was a bit tiring, but not too bad. My expectation was that it wouldn't turn out, and that I'd be throwing the lot away, but it sounded like fun (and it's sometimes good to just go ahead and follow through with your kid's crazy ideas for their own sake ;) ).

But, guess what? I ended up with a nice, even, dark full city roast. I tried it this morning because it was the only coffee I had, and it's not quite rested long enough...but it will be great for New Year's Eve!

:arrow: BTW, Steve? Got any Bolivian Organic left?
DrZeus

Postby Sunnyfield » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:56 pm

How can you stir in a popper? I can see how you can shake it, but stirring... ???
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:18 pm

I removed the measuring cup from the top and stirred with a wooden spoon. I do all my roasting outside, so I don't care where the chaff goes.
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:09 pm

Yes I've still got (a little) Bolivian left buts its running low
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:48 pm

OK, but when you stir, do you not lose all the heat, and therefore get a failed roast? I am really intrigued by this! :)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:42 pm

In my attempts to slow the roast down, I've been roasting outside to cool the temperature, using a long extension cord, and leaving the top off (not the entire things...just the measuring cup). Additionally, I do the "turn on/turn off" thing and have been stirring it while it's off. So, really, adding 50% more beans and constantly stirring was just another step up.

Like I said, I didn't think it would work at all...but sure enough, it did! I just brewed another cup of it this morning and it was wonderful!
DrZeus

Postby alans » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:47 am

I'm not in any way scientific when it comes to popper roasting, it's just for small batches and fun really. If the batch is big enough that the beans aren't moving, I stir, if it's small enough that they're moving too quickly, I try to obstruct them a bit with a spoon or the like. Stirring is definatly required for getting the big batches moving at the start of the roast when they're too heavy for the fan to move them and it works well. Obstruction on the other hand I don't think really works at all.

My standard "measure" for the Prima is four handfuls, plus or minus one handful, so you know what I mean about non-scientific ;)
alans

Postby mnemonix » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:08 pm

A good set of scales is a very useful tool for roasting ! I would guess 4 handfuls is about 80-100g which is on the large side for a popper. 100g is the most I'll do, usually for darker roasts or the results are too uneven,
and it will self-aggitate if somewhat sluggishly at the start.

On the subject of stirring, I've mentioned I do this in conjunction with switching the popper off to stretch the roast. I'm currently doing approx 10 seconds on / 10 seconds off and to do this I have to remove the whole top assembly of the popper and withdraw the thermocouple probe (it enters the roast chamber through an angled hole drilled in the side), before stirring the beans with a chopstick and then reassembling the whole contraption and switching it on again ! Computer control or a Hottop is going to happen soon as this is quite a performance but it does work.

I'm assuming that the bean mass retains most of it's heat even if the chamber cools slightly as I don't see my roasts stalling.

chris.
mnemonix

Unsolicited email response to thread

Postby phil » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:19 pm

I got this on the "admin" address I use for people to contact the site administrator :

Subject: Re: Air popper experiment
Date: Thu, January 8, 2004 2:00 am
To: ******************
Priority: Normal
Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

Dear Sirs,
In order to obtain consistent results, I suggest you guys install a control
box to power the popper. To me, I have make the following changes to my
popper.
1. Install a temperature controller (thumwheel setting type), use a K probe
(quick response type) to measure the chamber's temperature, the controller
will drive a SSR and control the on/off of the heater. I don't think that
current cheaper roasting machine does have this kind of temperature
controller installed.
2. Power the DC motor by a separated AC transformer, and let the fan running
in full speed.
Anyway, I note that the controller can only response to +3/-7C degree.
However, I can control when the time that the 1st and 2nd crack begin, and
extend the roasting time, minimize the hot spot...etc. To insert the K probe
inside the roasting chamber even will prevent the coffee bean from spinning
inside the chamber.
The cost of the control box, SSR, temp probe...etc. won't exceed EUR50.
There're many articles related to the mod of our popper.
Rgds, K T Li

Whaddya think? Seems helpful to me. Shall I respond?
Last edited by phil on Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Danny » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Phil... Can anyone read the fora? If so I'd suggest you munge this guys email address before he gets spam and wonders how... :)

-D
Danny

Postby mnemonix » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:46 am

By all means Phil ! Regarding our first conversation before I joined the group, my popper's now modded for control, i've settled on a serial interface box and started writing the software for my laptop so I hope to report on progress within a few weeks. How's your datalogging thermometer ? do you have any roast profile graphs from it ?
mnemonix

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques