harsh, smokey taste with Imex

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby alans » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:16 pm

Tom Rauffenbart on the SM list wrote (I'm about a week behind on this list as always):
The FR was my first machine, and after a few months (and some uneven incinerated roasts) I have developed my own way of roasting with it. I manually rotate the machine through most of the roast, and in doing so have eliminated almost all of the burned bean problem. It's not much of a hassle for me as the roasts go so quickly. Once the beans are through most of the first crack, and the beans are moving well, I put it down and let it go until it's done to my liking, usually a few snaps into the second crack.

I'm wondering if you may need to adopt a similar method?
alans

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:16 pm

I could give it a go, however the beans seem to move quite quickly in the IMEX. The FR has quite a different construction. At least someone else who complains about burnt beans.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:44 pm

Never had any issues with burning on my IMEX, just a general lightness of taste, no body, and a "baked" smell.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques