How to rest the beans best..?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How to rest the beans best..?

Postby michel » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:44 pm

I had put some just roasted beans in a tight fitting container and was walking away already till the Idea hit me that it might be not such a good way to rest the beans in a tight fitting container.
Don't know why, but I have the idea that beans roasted and rested in 'open air' tasted better in the past than the beans in the tight fitting containers... Furthermore the Illy beans came in mind... they stale very quick once the container is opened (don't know though if they are put in the containers right after roasting...).

I don't know exacly what I want to say and ask but: Does any of you know for sure (and why) it is better to rest the beans in 'open air' or in a tight fitting container?
If not, I will investigate this myselve, and write a story about it. If so, You've just saved me time and effort...

Thanks,
Michel
michel

Postby phil » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:59 pm

I think it's something to do with permitting the outgassing of carbon dioxide. There's been an awful lot of stuff about this sort of thing on the SM list but frankly after the umpteenth detailed post about whether to seal under carbon dioxide, nitrogen, under vacuum or just in an old sock I tend to lose the will to live.

Maybe I'm not a true geek at heart? :(
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:37 pm

Phil, you know you are! :)

Michel, I second your 'claims'. I cannot explain. Another reason to expose it to air: your container may crack/burst if the pressure from the degassing gets too much.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:17 am

I've never really differentiated been 'resting' and 'degassing.' When I let it rest, I put a loose lid on it, and after the rest of 12 to 24 hours, I seal the lid tight. I've never had any explotions, and the coffee has always tasted good. :)
DrZeus

Postby phil » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:30 pm

I do much the same. I normally roast in the evening. I put the roasted beans in the storage tin and don't fully seal the lid until the following morning.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:21 pm

I find the one way vaulve bags are the best way of resting. Yes I am still alive and I havent left the country :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:46 pm

Thank you all for our comments...
Last night I had one of my 'sublime' ideas... :? I roasted two batches of Yrgacheffe and put one in an open container in my study (where the smell of roasting is obvious...), and the other batch in an open container outside, in my back garden... (as I was thinking about the whisky's of Islay... getting their specific taste by the sea-air (as from the peat and other rituals too of course...).
The result: I forgot about it! (making flashes all the time.. :oops: ) Just remembered the batch outside a couple of minutes ago and searched for it...
And I found it... finally... floating in snow/rain/hail (we have had everything the last 24 hours...).

So I have to do the experiment again... (preferably tomorrow), but was just wanting to let you know...

Michel
michel

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques