Daterra Espresso blend - roasting in a Hottop

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Daterra Espresso blend - roasting in a Hottop

Postby simonp » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 pm

I recently roasted my first batch of Daterra Reserve espresso blend in the Hottop. I have roasrted it before in the air roaster, and I always had trouble hearing the cracks, and I was expecting a much easier time with the Hottop. My problem is, taht whilst I could hear the cracks now, I had trouble discerning when 2nd atarted, as 1st and 2nd seemed to merge.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:18 am

sounds like you need to change the profile.... ;-)
dimmer anyone? :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby HughF » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:26 am

Simon - I wouldn't say it merges completely, there's a slight pause when I roast it but it's easy to miss. I tend to stop as soon as I'm sure that second is starting, i.e. well before any oil shows (at the finish or after a few days rest). The beans look dark brown but not glossy; that's the roast I like anyway.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby simonp » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:50 am

HughF wrote:Simon - I wouldn't say it merges completely, there's a slight pause when I roast it but it's easy to miss. I tend to stop as soon as I'm sure that second is starting, i.e. well before any oil shows (at the finish or after a few days rest). The beans look dark brown but not glossy; that's the roast I like anyway.

Cheers,

Hugh

At first I thought that 1st had just got more active again, as there had been no gap, just slowing, but then I could hear the sound was a crackle, and the smoke smell was definitely what you get around 2nd crack. I let it run to when 2nd started to get regular, this gave no oil, and just the very occasional spot after 3 days.

All my other roasts with the Hottop have had quite a defined gap between 1st and 2nd crack, esprecially the Lintong, which took age to get to 2nd crack, but then this stuff does take a lot of heat.

This stuff does seem better with a drum roast, as it can be quite acidic and sour if roasted wrong (esprecially in the air roaster), but the drum roast seems to mellow it a little.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby pault » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:41 pm

I haven't done any Daterra for a while - but I reckon it can take 20 seconds into second crack

I agree it can be difficult to spot the change in cracks but there's a definite difference between the increasingly quiet 1st cracks and then the pencil-snap 2nd crack which are also quiet but a much sharper well-defined sound if that makes sense

anyway, like I say the Daterra can probably take more of a roast than most so I'd advise not to wimp out of the roast too early!!

best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby simonp » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:10 pm

gouezeri wrote:sounds like you need to change the profile.... ;-)
dimmer anyone? :lol:

Yeh, yeah, yeah :roll: It's not quite as simple as that, as I have noticed that the output fan on the Hottop is speed controlled, presumably to help control the temperature inside, so, it may not be as simple as manually controlling the heater to enable profiling. Rest assured when I have some time, I will be experimenting :twisted:

It is telling though that I have, as yet, not felt the need to mess with this thing yet.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:39 pm

only a matter of time! ;-)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques