Roasting Census

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How do you roast? (please pick the method you use the most often and detail any other supplementary methods in your post)

HotTop/Alpenrost (or other commercial drum roaster)
46%
I-Roast/Imex/Modded Popcorn roaster (or other commercial fluid bed)
29%
Professional drum (probat et al.)
13%
Other (whirly/fan oven/gas)
13%

Total votes : 24

Roasting Census

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:53 am

Seeing as we now seem to have a fair number of roasters here, I thought it might be interesting to have some figures.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:25 am

I had to vote Hottop, but I would also like to have put one in for the Imex/opcorn one as I did that for a year, and will probably use the popcorn machine on occasion to do small batches, like doing some robusta for blends, lets face it, who would want 250g of roasted robusta on their hands :x
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby JonathanM » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:21 am

Hottop. I've never tried the Imex/Popcorn approach - I wanted to have a simple source of fresh roasted coffee suitable for a total novice, and was spending too much on postage! Sometimes I wish it coud deal with a larger batch size (250g green equates to about 1-2 days of coffee supply). Sometimes I would like to do smaller batches, for example when I'm trying to follow one of your blends, or wanting to test a different roast.

Simon - maybe you will be posting some 250g pre-blended recipies soon?
Gaggia TD, La Spaziale Lusso (espresso), Rocky (brew), Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs and and old ''Cona Standard''
JonathanM

Postby jumper » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:04 pm

heatgun. i also use a sample roaster at work some time if i'm out of coffee and need a quick fix
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby simonp » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:11 pm

JonathanM wrote:Hottop. I've never tried the Imex/Popcorn approach - I wanted to have a simple source of fresh roasted coffee suitable for a total novice, and was spending too much on postage! Sometimes I wish it coud deal with a larger batch size (250g green equates to about 1-2 days of coffee supply). Sometimes I would like to do smaller batches, for example when I'm trying to follow one of your blends, or wanting to test a different roast.

Simon - maybe you will be posting some 250g pre-blended recipies soon?

Blimey, 250g in 2 days :shock: That will last me a week! Sometimes a bit less if Jess is drinking espresso in the evening.

The only downside I can see with the Hottop is that due to our not that large consumption, if I individually roast each bean in a blned the coffee will go very stale before we get through it. Generally though a blend can be split, the beans that take longer to roast (wet processed and Indonesians) can be done together, and quicker roasting beans (dry processed ones like Cachoera & Harrar, and aged beans) can be done together.

For my first Hottop roast (apart from a test roast with some old Malabar Gold) will be my blend of a week or so back, with Brazil Lagoa, Lintong, Guatamalna, & Yirg. These are all wet processed and should roast well together.
I know Phil always roasts separately and the post-roast blends, but I think he sticks to 3-bean blends.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Jo2 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:08 am

I used to roast very small badges in my microwave / oven (set to hot air), and i tried stovetop last week, but since i'm so close to the fire (;-)) at work, i hardly ever roast at home anymore...
I voted "other".
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby stevenzaat » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:47 pm

I vote for Hottop, roasting with the machine almost a year and I reallly love it.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby zix » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:53 pm

For me it is still heatgun, popper and oven, with heatgun being the favourite for taste, popper the favourite for quick-and-easy roasts and oven the favourite for lots of body and larger batches. Still no home-made drum mkII, shame on me...

If I had the money and the space for a pro drum roaster, like a sample roaster, I would probably get one.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Beanie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Hottop for me. Got the new panel as a present. Haven't roasted with it yet; but hopefully tonight. Will be good to see the temperatures :) That's been what I've been missing the most.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques