240v Poppers

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

240v Poppers

Postby alans » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:06 pm

I was thinking about trying to get together a list of 240v popcorn poppers with recommendations for coffee roasting, hopefully ending up with something we can post as content. Of course this is a little complicated since I've only used the Prima PCM001 and I'm not sure they are still selling them.

Prima's the only brand I've seen for sale in Ireland, looking at their website:
http://www.prima-international.com/prima/partytime.html

We have:
PDP100 The Duck, has anyone tried this one?
PBP0040 The Orange, looks like a West Bend Stir Crazy, wonder if it could work as a 240v Turbo/Crazy combo?
PCM001 Tried and tested, works great with no mods required, but getting a lot harder to find.
PCM001S Wow, a stainless steel Prima, never even heard of this one before, online for £17.95, wonder if this is the future.
PCM002 Appears the same as the PC001 but with a bowl. I still see these in small Irish shops and will get one if it's cheap.

The only other popper I can find on the web is the Argos "Styles may vary" popper. Don't think I'll risk that one!

What's available where you are, what have you used, where did you get it and would you recommend it?
alans

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:26 am

The Duck is bad bad bad (customer review not mine) PCM001 I used to sell and it went well but I cant source them any more.

The others im not sure.

Index do one that works well i think
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:44 pm

i have the PCM001S, i think it's just a PCM001 with a piece of aluminium wrapped round it. i removed it from mine as it was adding to the vibration and noise so i now have a plain black, label-less popper !

chris.
mnemonix

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:00 pm

Good idea to make a story about popcorn poppers. I'll be very interested to read it, but unfortunately I can't help you with it: I only used an IMEX roaster.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:51 pm

I have a "Privileg" that somebody gave me. I haven't a clue about it other than it works. :)
DrZeus

Postby alans » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:13 pm

John, Is the Privileg still roasting too hot? And would you recommend it to others?

I also found this one from John Lewis UK:Rival PP25 Popcorn Maker

So we've got heaps of information for UK and Irish roasters, but a bit low on the rest and I was really after a Europe wide resource.

Anyway the main thrust of the artical is "don't sit around waiting for X roaster to come out, just grab a popper and give it a go!" When I wanted to get in to roasting I couldn't find info on any poppers than the West Bends and ended up waiting around for six months for the Alp to be stable. Then a month later I bought a Prima!
alans

Postby DrZeus » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:02 pm

Yes, it's roasting pretty hot...it usually gets to first crack in under 3 minutes. I've been doing the "on again/off again" approach with good success, however, and the beans have been turning out good enough for my tastes. :)
DrZeus

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques