First 48 hours post roast

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

First 48 hours post roast

Postby Panda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:52 am

Ok .. I'm still learning theory and practice ... can someone explain this please :

As I understand it, during the first 48 hours from roasting, the beans continue to undergo certain changes. I think they continue to release CO2 and I expect that this is as a result of chemical reactions within the beans.

I have seen comments like :

- when buying roasted beans always source freshly roasted beans which are less than 48 hours old (why ?)

but also

- the beans' flavour stabilises after 48 hours and prior to that the CO2 releases means that the flavour may not be fully/correctly imparted into the water when brewing (really?)

Is this all just a question of taste (ie they will taste different when ground & made pre versus post 48 hours from roasting) or is there a consistent opinion about the 'best' way of doing things?
bosch hot air gun, wooden stick, pyrex bowl
zassenhaus hand grinder (156)
bialetti moka espresso + brikka
small chipped pottery mug
Panda

Postby ivdp » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:49 am

On your questin you will geta wide range of answers: some will say drink it fresh, do not wait.
others will advice to wait 24-36-48 hours, some will advice even a longer wait depending on the coffee.

Like with taste, you have to experiment yourselves. Test first what you like best: old coffee or fresh coffee....

Other peoples preferences should not be a guideline.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby jumper » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:12 pm

i agree with ivo most people tell me to wait but sometimes i can't (waited till i was out of beans before i started roasting) and it just didn't make much of a differance it might have been better still its all subjective
mark
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby simonp » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:57 pm

For espresso I would always wait at least 48 hours, before this you get foamy light crema, and it is hard to judge the grind setting as the volume will seem really big in the cup, then soon fall to a much lesser ammount when the big bubbles go. Also you will often get a strange taste like baking soda with all the CO2 in the crema.

Like the others say, try it yourself and see.

The lighter the roast, generally the longer the rest.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:03 pm

I'm with Ivo on this one drink when you think it tastes the best experiance will tell you when its ready
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques