My Hottop is fixed!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My Hottop is fixed!

Postby phil » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:39 pm

Phew! I thought I was going to have buy some roasted!

Hottop really came through, bless them! The cooling tray motor on my Hottop failed last Sunday. I mailed Shelly immediately and we had a quick email conversation about things to check. I checked them and drew a blank. Shelly then sent me a replacement by FedEx (on Tuesday, as soon as she received my reply) and it was with me on Thursday (well actually it was in the country but I didn't get it until Friday as no-one was in at my house to take delivery).

I've just fitted it and wey-hey! My baby works again!

Now to roast some Kenyan I received from my good mate in Stafford (you know the one who likes his coffee backwards :lol:)

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:25 pm

Hmmm... not very reassuring. Even more reason to wait for a good distributor in the UK/Europe.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:17 am

We want a cupping review on the BM too :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:38 pm

Eward : you must do as you think best, but if taking a screwdriver to something puts you off then I don't know why you're a home roaster! Frankly, with the level of support I get from Hottop I don't give a whatsit about there being no-one local. And I don't think it's a bad sign that a machine the age of mine which has seen that level of use should develop a (actually fairly minor if I'm honest) fault. It's not ideal, sure, but it's not totally out of order or anything.

I still think it's a stunning machine and I am so glad I bought it and not one of the other alternatives I was faced with eleven months ago.

Eeffoc - yeah, sure you can have a cupping review for the JBM. It's only fair. But with something as valuable as that please understand that I'm going to be playing profile games with lesser beans for a while until I get to a place where I'm happy I can really get the best out of it. I've only got enough for four roasts and I want each of those to be absolutely wonderful.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:32 pm

I don't mind working with tools, and I feel confident enough doing that. I don't like the thought of Shelley sitting at the other side of the world. The moment she quits/resigns you (a general 'you') are without support. I am glad and happy for you that you actually have such good experiences with HT and Shelley. I just wanted to stress why I want to wait and why I think it is important HT takes care of their distribution network. It was not a comment on the quality of the machine itself! :)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques