resting

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby DrZeus » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:40 am

phil wrote:I love Kenyans to bits.

I'll be getting some on my next order, for sure. You keep talking about them, but I've never tried it! Don't be surprised if I'm asking you for roasting advice. :)
DrZeus

Postby phil » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:28 pm

Sure - but (IMNSHO) you need to brew them (Kenyans) for best results. Not Moka pots, I think. Many people talk about drinking Americanos instead of brewed coffee and I'm keen to further my experience in that area, but until I get my espresso machine back from the repair shop that won't happen. :roll:
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:30 pm

Hm...good point. I have a press pot, but I'm too keen on the results from it. Any idea if any reviews have been done for beans that are good for moka pots?
DrZeus

Postby phil » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:59 pm

I take it you meant "... I'm not too keen on the results...".

Well, concentrating on your moka pot is one option, but I think you'll get the best (i.e. most varied) coffee experience by learning how to use your press pot better.

I've brewed hundreds if not actually thousands of press pot brews over the years, and I'm still learning how do do it better. Only today I thought I'd made the best pot I'd made in a very long time, and that was by paying attention tho things I often do wrong and cause over-extraction.

I have my issues with Mark P but he writes good sense when he's not reviewing other people's hardware. I found things in his press pot article that were worth thinking about (but chopsticks?)
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:21 pm

Kenya is yum yum yum :) Its so different to0 every other region too. It was the first coffee I really thought "wow this gormet coffee is different"
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:16 pm

Sorry for interrupting this Kenya (damn, I really need to try some Kenya soon!) talking... About resting the beans:

I only rest the beans for 12 hours. Then I have to grind some of the beans (I cant wait any longer... curious for my new creation...) with the grind set much coarser and extraction time (in espresso: 8 sec. / in pour over: the same as always, as the coffee dictates...) and I experience taste/love/smell/enjoy/much flavours/much depth already/earthy/bit sour sometimes/full-cupped/crema-laden(in case of espresso) etc. etc. . A coffee/espresso wich is great! Different though (and less balanced) than a bean that has had a rest for 3 day's... but still a great shot (or cup in the case of pour-over).

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby michel » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:28 pm

Just checked the archives of my coffee-storage and it seems I have some Kenya AA++ left (only 80 gram though, and I don't know which 'farm' Kenya as it was a test-batch from friends...). What should I do:
Roast it on itselve and try it pure or blend it... and if blended: with what? And how far into the second crack (with HWP second crack hapens - unfortunately - very quick...)

Thanks,
Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby michel » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:48 pm

As noboddy responded (no hard feelings though :D ) I've blended the Kenya with some Brazil and Timor... Result was not bad, a bit sour though, I think I have roasted the Kenya and Brazil to light... (as I rest the blend for more than 3 day's and any sourness of a 'too-early-consumed-coffee is not the case')
Might buy some new when I'm in Amsterdam again to experiment with some more beans...
michel

Postby phil » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:03 pm

It's Friday, it's late, I'm bored. Can't be bothered to get my head round the abstract model of futures pricing of oil commodities that I'm building. I'd rather be doing coffee things.

Ho hum, well on the subject of resting roasted coffee here's an extract from a note I just sent Eeffoc:
......On another note, I roasted a couple of batches of the Kariru last week.

Day 1 - the "fizzy water effect"

Day 2 - OK, a little winey but quite light. Nothing special.

Day 4 - BANG! WALLOP! Blackcurrants, big time.

Funny game this coffee lark innit?

So there you go.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:58 am

Totally agree on the Kariru Phil ! I notice it's all gone and Steve's doing the Gethumbwini (sp?) now. I was a bit put off as his early tasting notes didn't rate it as highly as the Kariru. Any second thoughts on it ? I have some Thunguri on its way over from SMs at the moment.

Resting Konas... with the Babas Beans 1,2,3 days nothing much, day 4, Wam ! PINE !

Roasted the last small batch of Yirg I had two days ago, and had forgotten how much I like it, but with a light roast on day 1 it was often a bit fizzy. I've come to like a darker roast of it and even got chocolate from it this time. Must order some Steves new arrival.

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:51 am

I do have some of the Kariru, it will be coming back V soon. The geth is still good, but I agree it aint no Kariru.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:33 pm

phil wrote:No! Really!

And that from a guy who has mayonnaise with his chips (sorry, fries) :lol:

Das sind "Fritten", best eaten "Rot/Weiß", which means with both catsup and mayonnaise.
The four year old son of a friend of calls these "dirty" and refuses to eat other then plain.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby phil » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:15 pm

I must "'fess up" here and admit I like mayonnaise on fries too, although Neku never got to show me the top-notch Belgian frites he mentioned. Next time maybe?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques