New Roaster on the market?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

air or drum roaster ?

Postby mnemonix » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 am

zix wrote:Rather early first crack for a drum roast, eh? around 12 minutes... A hot air drum roast? It looks like that to me, how else could they get the heat flowing horisontally.

I agree, the roast profile graph has a decidedly 'air roast' shape to it, suggesting that the hot air is contributing more than the heat of the drum to the roast, while the drum itself does little more than provide the agitation (note: this is pure speculation on my part).

With a decent control system there is no reason why the profile needs to be this shape - I mimic a drum profile in my popper with the laptop, but there remains a possibility that the mechanism of heat transfer to the beans ultimately contributes to the flavour, so if (and I say 'IF' on the basis I have no more information to go on) this is really an air roaster in disguise it might still not be able to impart a drum roasted flavour to the beans - at least if you believe this to be a tangible factor.

That said, the design, noise levels and capacity look promising, and as an air roaster myself I'd not condemn it on these grounds.

chris.
mnemonix

Postby Steve » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:07 pm

An update on this one. They have been producing the roasters for Asian market, and plans to sell to europe in the next couple of months.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques