HasBean Daterra espresso pre-blend and a HotTop

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

HasBean Daterra espresso pre-blend and a HotTop

Postby Tonka » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:09 pm

HasBean Daterra espresso pre-blend and a HotTop.

Got both and wondered if any HotTop roasters have already tried a batch? What number would you recommend roasting it on (or failing that, what roast level suits these beans?)

Ta
Tonka

Postby pault » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:31 pm

I've done loads of this stuff cos it's my default blend - I take it 20seconds into 2nd crack which is normally right on the beeper for no.7 setting or sometimes it eats into 1 press of the "plus" button, on one or 2 occasions I've had to press "plus" twice but rarely -it all depends on ambient temperatures (a few times it's been just before the 7 beeper goes off), whether I'd not long before done a batch and the machine was still a bit warm etc.

so basic advice - put it on 7 and go by the sounds ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby phil » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Don't use the numbers (applies for any roast). Set it to level 7 and dump it when it's done.

When is this one done? Well I and other TMC-ers agree that this stuff needs to go just a little darker than your average Brazilian. I would take an average good Brazilian (e.g. Fazenda Cachoeira Bourbon) about 10 seconds into 2nd crack in the Hottop for espresso purposes. This stuff I would take a bit darker - 20 - 30 seconds into 2nd, maybe to the start of a good roll.

I know this stuff is expensive, but you do have to work out your own tastes and how it works in your espresso machine. The above should be a reasonable starting point.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:21 pm

phil wrote:This stuff I would take a bit darker - 20 - 30 seconds into 2nd, maybe to the start of a good roll.
Phil

That's a little darker than I've been going, I was afraid or overdoing it. I might try it a little longer next time then, as I have to rest it 4 days to loose the sharp edge it can have when too new. It is damn nice though.

I roasted the last of my Perfeito blend recently, and I must admit though it is nice, the Daterra easily wins.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:10 pm

Good timing Tonka. I'm about to do that one tonight too! Came to check for the same info :) I read the cupping review by Stephane and he roasted to a Light/Medium French.

I've done 3 roasts now and am having a tough time distinguishing 2nd crack. Maybe I'll start a new topic about those with pictures :)

M
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Tonka » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:49 am

Bloody crikey.. no.7!!! Well, thanks everyone for your advice and I will heed it. The max I've gone on the HotTop so far is 3 and that seems quite dark, so goodness knows what 7 will do!!! I am wondering if the presets on the HotTop mean anything in relation to other machines... I suspect not. I think I will follow Phil's advice and go for the timing into the 2nd crack. It'll have to wait till tomorrow because it's fridays night and I'm 3 sheets to the wind and if I start a bit of late night roasting now a fire will undoubtedly ensue :oops:
Tonka

Postby pault » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:26 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Good timing Tonka. I'm about to do that one tonight too! Came to check for the same info :) I read the cupping review by Stephane and he roasted to a Light/Medium French.

I've done 3 roasts now and am having a tough time distinguishing 2nd crack. Maybe I'll start a new topic about those with pictures :)

M

In relation to Daterra, my advice is until you have a lot of experience and can distinguish more easily between 1st and 2nd crack - perhaps the easiest way is to wait until 1st crack starts and listen carefully- the gap between the cracks tends to speed up - however, after that speed up there's a slow down and the odd 1st crack that still continues and this may add to the confusion as to when 1st crack ends and 2nd crack starts.

The best way I've found to deal with this is to wait for the short but sustained period of time when there is absolutely no sound at all - approx 10 seconds depending on the bean and conditions etc - and then from the very first light cracking sound after that - count your 20 seconds. Depending upon how your machine's configured, its likely that the beeps for no. 7 will go off at some point during your count - you will then know you're not far off in your reading of the situation and just press the "plus" button, if necessary, without losing your count until you reach 20.

it's a lot easier to roast single origin batches because there's less chance of the 1st and 2nd crack overlapping in the same way there is with different bean types all jumbled together ...

cheers,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi Tonka

Take it to setting 7 but dont let it go on. Manually eject it when you thionk it is ready.

As above really take it just into second crack.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Freaky » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:40 pm

Another question about daterra. How long are you lot leaving it to degass?
Freaky

Postby Beanie » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi Freaky,

I've only done one roast for this blend, and taste buds are still in training... but here goes anyway:

I waited til the 3rd day but we enjoyed more on days 4 and 5, so far :)

Out of curiosity about the roasting, I was wondering what the timing was for most on the Hottop. I put it on setting 7, as recommended, tried to do 20 seconds after 2nd crack... but as usual, couldn't quite distinguish 2nd crack. I thought 1st start at 16 min, getting very active at 16m 37s, and perhaps, though I'm not sure, 2nd started at 18m 20s. I manually ejected based on the smell, amount of smoke and colour, in that order of importance to me, at about 19m 20s, in case I misheard 2nd crack.

Here's a pic. of what I ended up with.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby simonp » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:31 am

Bean_Believer wrote:I waited til the 3rd day but we enjoyed more on days 4 and 5, so far :)

That would be my opinion too.

Your roast looks a little dark for 20s inot 2nd crack to me, I don't see any oil after 3 days, although that is with an air roaster.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:45 pm

simonp wrote:Your roast looks a little dark for 20s inot 2nd crack to me, I don't see any oil after 3 days, although that is with an air roaster.

Thanks simonp. Perhaps I shouldn't 2nd guess myself on 2nd crack! I'm going to eject lighter/earlier next time. Although the pic is a few shades darker than it is in reality. A pro photographer wanted to check out the camera and played around with the settings, white balance, etc., a while back and I haven't got around to changing it yet.

M
Beanie

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques