First espresso blend

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

First espresso blend

Postby Tonka » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:26 pm

Ok, so I attempted an espresso blend last night. 50% Brazilian arabica, 10% java robusta, 10% harrar, 15% Honduran, 15% columbian.

Guess what??????
>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

It's F**king disgusting!!!! :evil:
Tonka

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:44 pm

Did you roast it yourselve and who was the supplier of the beans that it was that disgusting!

Hope you feel better now,

Regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby phil » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:59 pm

OK James - more detail please.

Describe "disgusting" in as much detail as you can, and then we can begin to deconstruct your blend and understand your experience.

Also details about the roast levels of each g the beans will help greatly.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby RobC » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:29 pm

Definately a bit more information would help, I always find some blends work really well as espresso on it's own but when combined with milk loose their appeal - but others work in reverse, unpalletable as espresso but great as cappuccino? Also a few tasters can help - I find coffee preference is very preferable - blends I am informed are "Mustard" just seem OK to me and my own favourite's get a distinctly mediocre response at times - life would be so dull if we were all the same!!!
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Tonka » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:52 pm

Thin and sour! Thats all I can remember about it, with a crappy crema that disappeared after brief swilling. I roasted the brazilians seperately from the rest of them, and they were all roasted to number 3 on the HotTop.... so a mid-brown job. I re-roasted half of them tonight a little bit darker, but havent tasted them yet. I did make a cup of filter coffee from the original blend and it was quite nice, but a lot duskier than I was expecting given the relatively light roasting. I think its the Harrar beans that have done this.

It wasnt down to my espresso technique either as I am pretty consistent (now that the Sivlia has a PID... fecking marvellous)

Incidentally, the only quality beans in there were the Harrar and the Java robusta. The rest (about 80%) were arabica but generic regional beans. I don't blame the supplier as they were free with the roaster... it's more likely down to my inept blendidng. i must admit I did it on a hunch and without knowing the characteristics of the beans (other than the Harrar) we'll see what the darker roast tastes like in the morning.....

Incidentally I roasted up a batch of Hasbeans JBM on number 2 (so quite light) and it already smells heavenly. I'll try to leave it alone for a couple of days to even itself out.

Well, anyway... it's my bedtime, and hopefully I'll get a proper night's sleep tonight... in all the excitement of the new PID, the HotTop and the new grinder I have been having too many late night tasting sessions recently (I'm sure you all know the scenario!!!) night night.. see you in the morning!
Tonka

Postby phil » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:18 pm

Did you do this lot as a pre-blend? I wouldn't fancy sticking Robusta in a pre-blend.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Tonka » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:39 am

i roasted the robusta along with all the other stuff (minus the 50% brazilian). I wish i'd roasted it seperately, but what stopped me was the fact that I'd have to roast all 250g of it, enough for the next years blends!!
Tonka

Postby phil » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:24 am

Ah, welcome to home roasting! Yup, that's one of the reasons I don't pre-blend, and also why I don't use Robusta.

This isn't hugely helpful, but I've always believed that if you're going to pre-blend you need to have done at least one batch of each bean on its own so you've an idea how it roasts.

OK, what was the roast level of these beans? Say relative to second crack?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Tonka » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:35 am

early into 2nd crack. It agree entirely with you about the logic of not preblending... however I was responding to Steve L's comments about pre-blended blends holding together better
Tonka

Postby phil » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:04 am

My close friend Mr Leighton and I have had a few lively discussions about pre-blending. Bluntly I've never observed that particular thing about them holding together better.

I think the truth is that Steve is sufficiently skilled at his craft, and has put so much work into it, that of course his pre-blends work and hang together well. The rest of us should be so lucky!
Last edited by phil on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:51 am

Pre-blending is always tricky, although blends likle the Daterra Reserve, or Sweey Marias Monkey blend work well.
You can mix-roast beans as long as they are similar in roast characteristic. Dry procesed beans roast well together e.g Brazil Cachoeira and Harrar. but not a dry processed Sumatran or Sulawesi, these roast longer like wet processed beans.
I often roast Cach and harrar together, and then the longer beans together like columbian, Lintong, Yirgacheffe.

Like Phil says, you need to roast them separartely to see how they go. I tried roasting Yuaco Selecto with another wet processed bean, but it took much longer, so I had it too light.

Steve's advice to me on Robusta was to roast it separately in a batch. He said that robusta needed rest before using, and doesn't go stale as much as other beans so you can keep the batch for a while and still use it.

As I manually profile I can slow down a roast to keep the beans even, so it may be easier than with a Hottop (see, there is one thing I can do that a Hotop can't :wink: , that's about the only thing though :harrumph: )
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:05 am

simonp wrote:As I manually profile I can slow down a roast to keep the beans even, so it may be easier than with a Hottop (see, there is one thing I can do that a Hotop can't :wink: , that's about the only thing though :harrumph: )

Ah but a Hottop-plus-variac can!

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:12 pm

As above really tonka, I do my robusta seperatley, and with time (5-10 days i get through around 3-4 kg of robusta) it tastes better left and loses lots of its harshness, so dont worry about having 200g of robusta sitting around for even a couple of weeks. You are useing so little of it, it should be fine and not effect the rest of the blend exept for the better (crema and caffine boost).

Note: I would never recomend anything else being left this time, but robusta desreves this treatment ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:26 pm

I've been getting more into roasting and blending and the like. I am a post-blend man meself - maybe because the coffees I've been working with have been roasting very differently (not just in terms of flavour development but also in terms of sheer physics - how the coffee roasts physically, how it takes the heat and stuff).

Putting a competition blend together has been immense fun - however it is a frightening thing, there is too much too learn. Infinite possibilities and all that. I'll post up a report after the finals which might be interesting....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques