Which beans first?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Which beans first?

Postby Beanie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:36 pm

I got so excited about home roasting that I've ordered a whole bunch of beans. Now, I can't decide which one first!

My Hottop is in mid-journey and should arrive mid-week next wk. I know, I know, days from now... but I want to be prepared for the event and not waste a second more than required.

Also, any recommendations for which singles to combine, ratios, that you think will be lovely. All we have is an espresso machine, so that's how 99% of our drinks will be made. I haven't picked up a press pot or vacuum yet but will sometime soon. I have tried it almost press-pot style, but instead of pressing, strained/sieved it into cups.

I already have:
    Sumatra Mandheling Gayo Mountain, Grade 1, semi-washed
    Zambia Plantation AA Zambica, washed
    Zimbabwe AA La Lucie Royale, washed

Accompanying the roaster:
    Brazil Fazenda Cahoera Borbon
    BSCA Daterra Reserve Blend
    Columbian Exelso Decaf
    El Salvador Finca La Fany Bourbon
    Ethiopia Djimmah
    Ethiopia Yirgacheffe
    Nicaragua Lozahoren
Any other related tips/advice, especially on the specific beans, would be greatly appreciated too :-)
Also, storage-wise, should I leave the greens in the cotton bag or put them in containers?

Still waiting to receive my locally-ordered homeroasting bible :? ,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby tisri » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:01 pm

Lozahoren, roasted to the tail end of first crack, rested for 3-4 days, is absolutely heavenly.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:42 pm

Tisri,

You are roasting lighter and lighter every day I see a thread of you on TMC :lol:

As you know I would try the Zambica first, but the Cachoera is also excellent. Normally I use this in a blend with the Colombian and the Nicaragua. Cach should be roasted into second crack. I also roast the Nicarague and the Colombian into second. Anyway exciting times for you and you will be hooked to freshness.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques