how to roast a kenya

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:58 pm

Jumper, Bean Believer,

I would like to support Phil. I roast the Kenya Peaberry every week and in the Hottop I would suggest 1 minute after the 1st crack has finished. It is still one of my favourites, although the Zambica from Zambia supplied by Marcy (BB), bought by her from Ongebrand, is at par with the advantage to drink it as an espresso. I just wrote a review which will be published soon at this website!.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby josh_robb » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:41 pm

How do you guys with drum roasters hear the cracks over the banging of the beans on the drum?

I fashioned a makeshift drum out of a steel hot chocolate tin I had sitting around - added vanes and did a test roast this morning in the George Foreman. (I had previously left the drum in for 10 mins with my thermometer inside - when I took it out it showed 450F - which I assume is hot enough)

Anyway - the only crack I heard clearly today was second. Now I have a nunfortunatly overroasted (somewhere between City+ and french) batch of cachoeria. (The good news is I only roasted 120g)

The beans falling in the tin sound a lot like cracks. How does one tell?
"FrankenGaggia" Coffee Deluxe (with Silvia Steamwand)
*$ Barista (Solis 166) Grinder
George Foreman "Baby George Rotisserie" custom Roaster
josh_robb

Postby pault » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:51 pm

Tonka - I think you've been overindulging in your pharmaceutical products - your tastebuds are obviously addled ... :P
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby stevenzaat » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:22 am

Josh Rob,

I had this the first time I roasted that I continuosly was thinking that the cracks already had started, but the 1st crack is definately different than the banging of the beans or the crisps of the chaff. The first crack sounds like popcorn popping and the second crack like breaking a toothpicks. The 2nd one is harder to distinct in my opinion, but the 1st crack is audible at a distance from 5 meter.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques