resting beans

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

resting beans

Postby pault » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:44 pm

This is a quote from CG referring to the new Illy book about espresso-making

illy has a great chart showing how fresh-roasted coffee interacts with oxygen, that definitely demonstrates the need to pack the coffee within an hour of roasting. letting the coffee "rest" unpacked -- exposed -- 8 hours shortens its shelf life by 40%.

up until now - I'd been happily resting my roasted beans in a jar with the lid open for 24hours - according to this I've been mistaken or if you use the beans within about 5-7days does it really matter?

must say - my recent experience of trying to use beans that had been degassing in the open jar for only 16hours would seem to contradict Mr Illy,

any thoughts anyone?

best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby phil » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:04 pm

I would have thought that the initial de-gassing would cover the beans with a CO2 blanket, CO2 being heavier than air - as long as the isn't an airflow which will cause the CO2 to be carried away.

I put my roasts straight into the airtight tin I use for storage, but leave the lid cracked open overnight to allow the excess CO2 to escape. Under those circumstances I don't believe my beans are exposed to air while resting.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:18 pm

I pack my beans into one way vaulve pack straight away. That way it can breath but without the oxygen interation. I think (IMHO) this is the best way to store freshly roasted beans.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:22 pm

Your bag and my tin are performing the same function but your bag is flasher (you should pardon the expression :wink:).

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:23 pm

teee heee ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mattmills » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:31 am

There is a period where the beans do need to rest... if you cup your coffee straight after roast (both espresso and other styles) you will notice an amolst metalic taste. After this period i agree with steve and phil, we use one way valve bags. It is also importent to allow the gasses that the beans continue to give off to remain in the bag as these actually continue to flavour the beans.
mattmills

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:38 am

It is also importent to allow the gasses that the beans continue to give off to remain in the bag as these actually continue to flavour the beans.

I normally let the beans rest for two-three days. Is this long enough regarding your comment Matt that the gasses continue to flavor the beans or should I leave them longer in the bags before I throw the beans into the airtight cans ? I know that Tisri leave them for 5 or more days in the bags before he starts consuming them. There should be an optimum between additional flovouring in the beginning and going stale at the end of the period?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby phil » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 am

There are some beans (normally roasted fairly lightly) that don't come into their full flavour until around about 4 days after roasting. In fact I find that most beans roasted for press / vac pot extraction are at their best at this stage in their life, and then go slowly downhill - although I have heard it said that some Yirgs are an exception and need drinking sooner.
Last edited by phil on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:00 pm

stevenzaat wrote: I know that Tisri leave them for 5 or more days in the bags before he starts consuming them.

Not always so. I leave them at least two days before touching them and sometimes it turns out to be more like five days if I've already got a hopper full of beans in my machine. In the winter I only do dark roasts at weekends so I don't need the back door open in the dark and the cold so resting times tend to be longer (anything stopping before second crack doesn't need the door open).

I recall Phil mentioning that light roasts tend to want a longer resting period and it's probably fair to say I roast darker than most people here (although in fairness I've stopped the last four roasts before second crack even started). This weekend I've got some Monsoon Malabar to nuke and probably let fly with some Yirg and Brazilian Fazenda Cachoeira.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby simonp » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:11 pm

I always rest 3 days for espresso, even then I often get very frothy lightish colour crema from the spouts on the first day of use, which suggests it is still degassing. The 4th day the crema is usually very fine bubbles and dark brown/red.
I do only roast a little in to 2nd crack though (before rolling) usually.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby mattmills » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:37 am

to be honest.... each blend is different. We have some customers who will not use their coffee until it has rested a week.
When i am cupping a number of the blends at the factory the profiles constantly change, and it then depends on personal preference. If you are really looking for some of the more acidic and delicate flavours.... these can be lost within the fist few days. The longer the beans rest, the more balenced the blend/coffee becomes, as the flavours merge and the coffee mellows. For example is you cup a blend/coffee straight after roasting, you will notice how jumpy the acidity is... almost metalic in some of the flavours, this calms down the longer it rests... later the acidity starts to diminish, and the mouth feel develops.
mattmills

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Ok, confession time (this may help other "newbies")...
I totally agree with MattMills above, even more so than before. I thought I appreciated how a blend changes over time, but until I actually started (impatiently) roasting for myself, I hadn't realise just how much it changes. I read the books, made a note of the times recommended and have now promptly ignored them. You really do have to try a blend at different ages straight from roasting to fully appreciate the changes taking place. I can't believe how different my BSCA Daterra Reserve tastes after two days of rest (rather than 4 hours and then 24 hours) and I can't wait to see what it will be like tomorrow. Somethings you've just got to try and let your tastebuds decide!
D
Gouezeri

Postby tisri » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:35 pm

Last night I made some coffee with some Kenya AA that had been resting around two days and it wasn't particularly pleasant. It was the first time I had really experienced the almost carbonated mouth-feel of a coffee that wasn't fully rested.

So that bag goes back on the shelf for another couple of days.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques