Newbi Roasting question

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Newbi Roasting question

Postby MightyRed » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi I'm new here and had some questions.

Is it worth having a go at roasting do you notice the difference?
Also are the green beans easy to get hold of with some sort of quality?
I was looking and don't really know where to start seen this website talked about on an old topic thought I would come and ask.

What is the best way to dip your to in the coffee so to speak? :lol:

I'm in the UK I did have a look but most roasters seem to be commercial roasting machines from what I can see.

Thanks for your time
MR
MightyRed

Re: Newbi Roasting question

Postby motoman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi MR, Getting in to roasting is simple, green beans can be purchased from Steve who runs this site. There are other UK based sellers on the net. As for quality, you get what you pay for, in return you get quality at a fraction of the price you pay in retail outlets. Roasting is different, we all started at the bottom and like me some are still there, I started with a popcorn popper and worked my way towards better and better roasters. By yourself you learn by your mistakes, the good news is that a popcorn roaster takes only a few ounces of greens so wastage due to mistakes is minimal, when it does come right you can be amazed how good it is from such a basic start. If you can find a roaster in your area, get in touch. Most of us are proud (big headed) about our results. I am sure they would help, advise and show you how it is done. Read up on roasting and join a few of the coffee lovers sites in the UK and USA.
Roasting is addictive, many of our members can be found living in cardboard boxes in any high street, please give generously, I have a large espresso machine to support.
Madness over, keep reading the articles on the site, TMC members are almost human and give good advice

Pete
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: Newbi Roasting question

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Greetings to TMC, MightyRed!

Sorry, I was unable to respond to this question. In addition to the good advice already given I would suggest looking at eBay for a used, small roaster to start with. You can also find green beans on eBay. It makes sense to start out small (inexpensive) to find out whether you want to roast at home, or not. Most of us started that way. I am not convinced that a popcorn popper or heat gun are the right ways to start. The results are often too variable and reproducible results are the exception rather than the rule.
I don't think anyone can tell you whether YOU will enjoy roasting or not. It depends on many things, whether you have room to have a proper roster, what your ventilation possibilities are (roasting entails smoke and chaff that are not enjoyed by everyone. Coffee roasting does not smell like freshly ground coffee. The smoke is an acquired taste.) All that said, I personally have been roasting for nearly 20 years, have had 9 different roasters, use 3 different ones regularly and cannot imagine drinking coffee that anyone else roasts. You will also find that you will be disappointed when you go out and order a coffee. Good luck and let us know how things go for you. We would also appreciate it if you would tell us about your coffee experiences.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques