Cleaning the Huky 500

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cleaning the Huky 500

Postby motoman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:45 am

My lovely shiny Huky 500 looks as bright and new as when it first arrived a couple of years ago, however! during my last roast there was a noticeable lack of chaff in the extractor pan, also a corresponding increase of burning sparks flying around the cave. When I stripped it down the stainless steel pipework was lined with a dark sticky gunge and stuffed with chaff blocking them completely. I managed to clear out the chaff and clean the muck out from the ends of the tubes, this allowed me to complete the roasting session. My next job is to strip it down again and soak the tubes in paraffin or some other solvent to clean them thoroughly before my next roast. My policy of if it aint broke, don't mess with it, has been blown out of the water. The roast before this one had been perfect, with no sign of impending trouble. From now on an annual strip and clean will be enough to prevent further log jams, will also prevent the house burning down.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: Cleaning the Huky 500

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am

You will get "gunk build up for sure". I know its different but we strip down the roasters every coulee of weeks and Gary spends a coulee of hours chipping away this gunk, its lovely job
Steve
Founder Member

Re: Cleaning the Huky 500

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 am

I did the strip down and used white spirit to soften the gunk, came out very well, I used cotton buds soaked in white spirit to clean the tubes simple extractor valve plates as they were the main cause of chaff getting stuck in the extractor tube. I left the drum alone, the heat from the burner keeps any residue under control. There is a fault in the design that causes a few beans to get stuck in the bottom of the loading tube, I get round this with a few strokes from an old fashioned pair of bellows. This solves the problem of a few half baked, stale beans getting pushed in to the drum by the fresh green beans.
I use two fans, one to cool the roasted beans, very efficient as it does this in less than a minute. Much better than the 10 minutes from the Genie. The second fan extracts the chaff and hot air, the problem here is the mesh in the pan that hold the chaff, this lets fine particles through and the heat has welded them to the fan blades. I am looking around the net for a replacement as I do not think this fan has a future.
I am very happy with the Huky 500T, any minor niggles are easily sorted and the coffee produced is worth the effort.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques