Hottop filter observation

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop filter observation

Postby tisri » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 pm

Hi all,

A little while ago there was a discussion about the expected life of the filter in a Hottop. I gather the stated average is around 40 roasts although my first filter was retired after 20 due to the unit overheating during particularly dark roasts.

Now on my second filter I've noticed that although a filter might not permit enough air flow to prevent overheating during a very dark roast it can still be used for lighter roasts. Several roasts back my Hottop automatically dumped a batch of Monsoon Malabar shortly after the second extension of the roast when the beans were well into second crack. Since then I've used the same filter for at least another 6-7 roasts, but generally not going further than the first pops of second.

So my conclusion is that if you want to nuke absolutely everything you'll probably get 15-20 roasts per filter. If you do a range of roasts, and keep a filter running for light roasts even if it's too clogged for dark, then 30-40 should be easily achievable.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby phil » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 pm

tisri wrote:A little while ago there was a discussion about the expected life of the filter in a Hottop. I gather the stated average is around 40 roasts although my first filter was retired after 20 due to the unit overheating during particularly dark roasts.

No - 30. I've never got anywhere near 40. Maybe 35, but the trouble with pushing the envelope is that finding out that you've gone one roast too far junks the roast for you. Also, I suspect that taking a filter a little too far will mess with the profile at the end of the roast.

What this is about is mainly what the fan is doing at a point in time. When the filter gets too clogged to pass enough air, the chamber temperature will start to rise rapidly. I personally don't think that this is satisfactory and wouldn't choose to take a filter beyond a stage where it was visibly past being usable.

Each to his or her own though. Caveat emptor and all that.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:52 pm

30? I don't feel so bad now - I was just thinking my second filter was going to have to be retired after around 15-20 roasts, but with the extra life readily available for roasts that aren't going to the tail end of second crack I reckon I might even achieve 30 with this one.

I've run out of roasted Monsoon Malabar so I think I'll have to christen a new filter, since the one I have won't take such a dark roast. I might just try using the previous filter that I cleaned to see how it goes.

As you say, caveat emptor and your mileage may vary.
tisri

Postby E61 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:09 pm

Well I'm currently experimenting with different methods to prolongue the life of the filter. Basically I started with this, because I bought my HotTop when it wasn't available in EU and got it directly from HotTop in Taiwan (and therefore also had to got filters from Taiwan).

My first experiment was simply to just lift the filter half up to give the extra airflow, but not too much. This actually works fairly well as long you don't mind the extra particles.

Recently I'm experimenting with using a filter designed for kitchen ventilation. I exchange the original filterpaper with a part of this.

It seems to work perfectly giving just slightly less airflow than a new original filter, but I suspect much longer lifespan. And the cost - very low. You can get a filter at 10-20 Euro and that should give you material for 4-5 filters.

Poul
E61

Postby tisri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:18 pm

Hi E61, that sounds like an interesting approach. When my first filter went to the smoke stack in the sky I took it apart, cleaned the black side and gave the white paper side a gentle brush-down to shift the build-up of particles. When filter number 2 is choked I'll see if washing it lets me use it again meaningfully.
tisri

Postby Mathias » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:44 pm

E61, could you tell me more about the filter you've tried? Which brand is it? Does it reduce smoke?
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:50 pm

A bit late joining this one but I'd issue a word of caution to anyone with a hottop still in warrenty that the replacment filters should be used (sorry to be such a misery guts).
Steve
Founder Member

Postby E61 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:45 pm

Been away from this thread for a while - sorry

I agree with Steve - don't mess with your filters i you are still under warrenty (unless of course you are willing to drop your warrenty)

In most kitchen venting hoods there is a metal filter with some filter material in between. You can easily cut in this material and get the size you require.

You can buy these filters in practically all kitchen appliance stores and it is food safe and designed for high temps

Poul
Faema E61 - 2 group, year 1967, 84 mm. brewhead
Faema E61 Ariete
Isomac Tea
Rossi RR45
La San Marco SM90
HotTop
Heartware Precision
E61

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques