Mazzer Mini E Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mazzer Mini E Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:08 am

So I stagger out of bed at the unearthly hour of 7.05am, finally reach the bottom of the stairs and in to the kitchen. From now on evertthing on automatic, switch on La Valentine (I still love her), grope for a handful of beans for the grinder, pour out the right amount of milk in to the Motta, bread in toaster etc etc. All is going well until it is time to grind, all is going well for a few seconds then the noise starts. Sounds like I am grinding a house brick, quick, stop the grinder, too late, stops all by itself. Jammed solid...................

"Oh bugger"! I said in my usual mild mannered Clark Kent style. Have some breakfast Pete then call the TMC Ghost Busters

Mornin' Ghost Busters............. Looks like a strip down ahead, luckily I have a new set od burrs and hope that is the problem. Do we have a Mazzer Mini strip down instruction on site or do I look elsewhere?

HELP

Just noticed that I have ben annoying you for just over 10 years, serves you right for putting up with me.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: Mazzer Mini E Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:39 am

Being an impatient bugger I checked a utube video on changing burrs and went ahead. Have stripped out the Burrs and found the very snall remains of what looks like a stripped internal thread, checked all the screw holes that keep the burrs in and found nothing. My worry now is did it come from Chuky? It is hand built so that is something for future investigation.

I plugged the grinder back in and gave it a brief spin, it spun round cleanly but Oh boy, that centrifuge effect on the bits left in the body was amazing and I am sure another tiny piece of shiny metal whislted by my ear. I hoovered it out and tried again, the good news is that it spins without and interferance so it is time to reassemble. I think I will get dressed first (I did say I was impatient). I will report back when all is working.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:01 am

I am back up and grinding, it all went back in reverse order, the new burrs feel a lot sharper, all I had to do was adjust the grind....................Yeah!!!! Switch on and tighted the adjustment until I felt a slight touch of the burrs, back off half a turn. So I poured in my usual amount of beans, the output was a lot less than usual, more beans, more beans. Still not filling the basket but went ahead anyway. The pour was so slow, it took ages to get a quarter of the coffee I usuall get. YUK! It was so strong........ The grind was so fine, it was swollen and clogging up the portafilter when the water went in . Backed off the grinder, but will not test again until my nouth returns.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby bruceb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:58 pm

A fresh bottle of sweet cream exploded in the refrigerator this morning while I was away. I calmed myself by saying, "The fridge needed a cleaning anyway. You might look at it the same way. New burrs are always a positive. When you get the grind down you'll undoubtedly notice that the new burrs really do make an improvement in the cup. At the same time, you might just drag a good strong magnet through your beans before grinding them the next few times. Of course, if the metal bits are stainless steel or aluminium they won't get caught, but it's possible that whatever got in there is normal soft steel. It can't hurt to magnetize your beans anyway. Keep us posted please.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:28 pm

I agree Bruce, I have had the burrs for a couple of years but the grinder was working OK so I did nothing. The metal was at the bottom of my first roast with the Huky, probably a bit of swarf left over in a corner. The old burrs look OK so I will keep them for a while.

I think it is important to place the roaster where I can get at everything without touching anything else, I have now turned it to face me, this way the only thing I cannot see is the drum switch. I can monitor the glass to see the roast progress, the turner is conveniently placed to turn and pull partly out for checking. The exhaust fan is now at the side of the roaster and the dump handle to hand and I can see inside the drum. When I report back from the burns unit, you will knowif I made a boo boo.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby motoman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 am

Had a bit od trouble with the Mini E, next morning it failed to produce. I stripped it down again and cleaned everything very carefully, even a few grains in the thread will make it harder to move the adjustment wheel or exactly get the burrs to lie flat. All OK this morning and seem to have found the best setting. Tea for breakfast is not a preferred option.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Return to Other Brewing Methods