Chemex vs Hario Woodneck?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Chemex vs Hario Woodneck?

Postby Tongle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Answers on a postcard please.............

I like the look of the Hario because of the reusable filter bag (and it is cheaper = win-win).
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Re: Chemex vs Hario Woodneck?

Postby cofeeed » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:24 am

It's all in the filter and the cup it produces.

I've only ever had one woodneck filter before, but my understanding is that being cloth you get more oils in your cup, producing a heavier mouthfeel and the elimination of the papery taste you may get using a paper filter.
Yes, the woodneck filter is re usable, but a lot of care must be taken in cleaning and storing the filter.

Chemex filter is a thicker paper than most filters and is therefore supposed to produce a cleaner cup with potentially less body. Personally, I have trouble with consistency using a chemex and mostly use it when I am brewing for friends as it adds to the theatre! That's not to say it doesn't brew good coffee, because when everything comes together, I've had some lovely cups from it.

Both are beautiful pieces of kit and the woodneck is something I'd like to see more of and taste more coffees from.

Let us know what you decide and how the brewing goes.
8-cup Chemex - 2-cup V60 - Aeropress - Tiamo Hand Grinder - Hario pouring kettle
cofeeed

Postby Tongle » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the idea of the cloth as it is re-used and as you say lets in more of the oils. I would imagine you could also use a paper filter if you wanted to.

Not sure how many more coffee making gadgets I can squeeze in the cupboard though.......... :roll:
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby dr.chris » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Just need a bigger cupboard...
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby Tongle » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Yep....but that would mean a bigger kitchen. Not sure I could argue having an extension in order to house my coffee stuff much as I'd like to :lol:
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby dr.chris » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:12 am

In my last kitchen the work surface sagged by a few mm over a few years under the weight of the lovely Anna (38Kg or there abouts) The cupboard doors underneath started sticking
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby RolandGlew » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Dead on from Chris on the differences between the two. In theory, cloth filters should be kept in water in your fridge - I tried using one for my Syphon for a while, but didn't manage to keep it in a good enough state and swapped to paper filters. Personally, I love my chemex though ;) also, you can get a metal filter for your chemex - reusable, and will let more oils and insoluble coffee matter through than a cloth (but which brings it's own challenges in slowing down the flow rate).
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Return to Other Brewing Methods