Experimenting with Nespresso

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Experimenting with Nespresso

Postby grib » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:19 pm

So lately I've been making up small batches of my own roasted coffee in refillable nespresso pods. A few of my online coffee friends have been turning their nose up at this "heresy" but I'd like to take a moment to defend my actions if it should please the court. My defence is as follows:

- It's just another brewing method
- You get reasonable temperature consistency (for the money) in many of the machines
- The machines themselves are "wife-friendly" unlike my commercial 1 group ;)
- The water pressure is high enough for an "espresso like" drink
- My Italian friends swear by them (should be the only proof I need)

How does it taste? Well like any brewing method, it depends on the coffee you use, I've definitely found single origins and blends that work well for espresso or aeropauses work well here.

The defence rests, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Re: Experimenting with Nespresso

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Your not alone on this, for those who missed it our own kingseven posted this

http://www.jimseven.com/2015/05/21/an-analysis-of-nespresso-part-i/

What are the problems you have found Grib ?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:27 pm

How does it do for crema and mouthfeel grib, is it viscose or thin. Mad idea btw, I love it :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby grib » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:34 pm

I missed that Steve, I'll take a look thanks.

Personally I haven't had any problems, apart from the attitude from some people. I keep the pod refills to small batches, the biggest problem is actually filling the suckers, so I've roped in my 5 year old to do that for pocket money :) Planning on getting one of these soon http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Capsule-filling-tool-for-nespresso-coffee-capsule/32266671281.html

I started this because I needed a better way to have coffee in the office, the filter coffee in the company kitchen is terrible so I bought a cheap Krups for my desk. As far as the extraction goes, it's better than some consumer home espresso machines. Good amount of crema and a pleasing consistency. The thing you've got to remember is that these are single shots; I've seen too many people using one pod for a 16 floz americano.
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:12 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this. The problem with all of these pod/pad systems is the rancid/stale coffee the pods/pads contain. I don't need a system like this anymore since I'm retired, at home, have 3 commercial machines and time to pulls shots, but if I was still working I might have tried this.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:49 pm

My son has both pod and capsule machines, when I ran out of the coffee I take with my I tried both.

The pods taste better than the capsules

I drink tea.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby grib » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

I've bought a couple of packs of coffee from these guys http://finecoffeeclub.co.uk, no idea who they are, but the coffee in the capsules is fresh and sealed unlike some other nespresso compatible retailers.
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby jhambleton » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:53 pm

As a Nespresso owner I have never even considered these sell fill capsules so definetly going to give that a try.

Similar to grib I get my pods online (seems a lot of companies now do compatibles?) http://mugpods.com

Where would you guys get the coffee from for the refillables?
jhambleton

Postby Uberwolf » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Guys the one big issue I have with this is the amount of coffee one uses, typically 5 grammes. This is why the likes of Nespresso use dark roasts ala starbucks otherwise you end up with a very weak coffee. You cannot use good speciality coffee in this way, and I don't want to drink the other kind, just my 2 cents.
Gaggia Baby Class/Gaggia MDF Grinder/RB Tamper
Uberwolf

Return to Other Brewing Methods