Great coffee from the BBC

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Great coffee from the BBC

Postby bruceb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:52 pm

There is an unfortunate article about making a great cup of coffee here. If comparing a Mr. Coffee burr grinder with a blade grinder is your cup of tea you'll like this.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 am

Thank you for posting that Bruce. Who was it who said "If you torture the data enough it will confess to anything"?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby dr.chris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I wish In hadn't even begun to read that. It all goes to show that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Instead of asking the more interesting question which is that lots of people think grind is important so lets try and work out why lets just go ignore all of that and use some stupid equations to baffle the unworthy...

Its a bit of a bugbear for me at the moment - like the pseudo science programs wheeling out a hired academic (the crazier looking/sounding the better) to make some momentous pronouncement to add weight to the latest stupid theory, because, you know, being an academic immediately conveys wisdom and judgement.

And GB - that sounds like a version of the old Mark Twain quote, about there being lies, damn lies, and statistics...
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks GB and Chris. Speaking of statistics, one of my favourite quotes is this: "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost; for support rather than illumination." - US sportscaster Vin Scully
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 am

bruceb wrote:... Speaking of statistics, one of my favourite quotes is this: "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost; for support rather than illumination." - US sportscaster Vin Scully

I like it. 8) I like it a lot.:D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:10 am

GreenBean wrote:
bruceb wrote:... Speaking of statistics, one of my favourite quotes is this: "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost; for support rather than illumination." - US sportscaster Vin Scully

That coming from someone who relies on lampposts to stay upright on a Friday night out.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm

motoman wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

That coming from someone who relies on lampposts to stay upright on a Friday night out.

That is the reason I like it so much. :wink:

GreenBean

Return to Other Brewing Methods