Fixing up an old Cona Rex

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Fixing up an old Cona Rex

Postby beev » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 pm

Hello.

Recently I've been lucky enough to get my hands on an old Cona Rex. It looks like a lovely piece of kit and I can't wait to try it out. However, first it needs a bit of a clean and the tiniest bit of restoration. The last thing I want to do is damage this beautiful item, so I would appreciate some advice if there's anyone out there who has experience of these things.

I've given it a general wash to start off.

The rubber seal that attaches to the bottom of the funnel has come off and it needs to be glued on again. I'm not sure what type of glue should be used.

Under the pot sits a little metal bit that holds the wick and has a hinged lid for snuffing out the flame. This also has a rubber seal under it which has come off and, I presume ought to be glued on again?

In the bottom of the stand is a space which should, I presume, be filled with fuel. This area is full of old powder/ash and looks like it should be cleaned but I'm not sure. Should I try to rinse it out with water? Is there a better way to clean it? Or should I just leave it as it is? It looks to be usable as it is, but I'm not sure if its good to let stuff build up in there.

There was a wick in the holder when I got it, but it was very old and turning to powder. I'll need to get some more. I saw a pack of 5 or 6 for sale on eBay priced at around a tenner. Does that sound about right? Roughly how long should a wick last? Is there another place I should be looking for them?

Thanks very much in advance for any help with these questions. I really hope I can save this wonderful old device and put it into use again after so many years of neglect.
beev

Return to Other Brewing Methods