Able filters

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Able filters

Postby motoman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Just been presented with an Aeropress, like it but can taste something in the paper filters. Cannot define it but it is there. Am going to get an Able filter from Steve but need expertise from users. Do I get the standard or fine filter, does it matter and most important does it make a difference?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: Able filters

Postby awlred » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm

I find it better to grind courser than you usually would.

It does make a difference, it ups the body and lowers the clarity, with the lack of paper to absorb the oils.

Does it matter? Well that's a personal opinion. I like that it's entirely reusable and it also makes the Aeropress an excellent loose leaf tea brewer.
UKBC Semi-Finalist 2009
|Iberital MC2|Pavoni ZIP(Borked)|Wega Max 2.6|Bodum 8-cup cafetierre|Aero Press|Eva Solo Cafe|La Pavoni EuroPiccola EP|Ocaree TCA-5 Vacpot

My Blog: http://awlred.wordpress.com

Barista at Peel&Peel Independent Coffee, 22 St Micheal's Road, Northampton
awlred

Postby bruceb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:13 pm

I use a Swiss gold filter that Steve and I cut to fit a few years ago. It works fine, but I don't mind a bit of silt in the cup. I can't taste a difference, but I'm too lazy to fool with paper filters.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

I have now ordered the fine Able Filter from Steve and look forward to testing it.

My reason for wanting a different filtering type was that I had previously been using an American jug with a nylon filter built in. This gives a perfectly acceptable drink but too much silt. With the same coffee in the Aero it lost out on every level, it is just too much like coffee shop coffee, I am hoping that the steel filter will bring it back up to a decent level. I will happily put up with a little silt if it improves the taste.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby motoman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:48 am

Able Fine Filter arrived this morning, made coffee and oh boy, is there a difference! Immediate sharpening of taste, hard to explain, it seems cleaner ,clearer and the aftertaste still lingers. No silt either with the finer filter, it does mean a bit extra work cleaning as the filter feels very fragile, so I can no longer just pump the grounds into the bin. It is worth the extra effort and highly recommended.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby lukas » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 am

I like "sharpening of taste" - this seems to fit pretty neatly for things like going from dull burrs to fresh burrs, from 12weeks old coffee to fresh, from past crop to new crop or from paper filters to the able disk :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Return to Other Brewing Methods