Blue Mountain - advice please

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Blue Mountain - advice please

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:06 pm

I have been to Jamaica and come back with a pound (454g for the continentally based amongst us) of roasted beans labelled "100% Blue Mountain, product of the Blue Mountain small coffee farmers, Portland, Jamaica WI," which cost me the princely sum of $20 US.

While I am prepared to accept that this is probably not the best quality Blue Mountain, as I presume that all gets exported to Japan, I would like to do it justice.

I haven't opened the pack yet (BBE 1 Sep 2013!!) but I am hoping that the roast is a medium. That is not indicated on the packaging.

So -

the advice I need is, what is the best way to prepare my little cache regarding grind and brewing method? I presume grinding it to powder and
sticking into the Gaggia Classic would be frowned upon.

All suggestions gratefully receved.
Ed

RE: Blue Mountain - advice please

Postby bruceb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm

It certainly depends upon you and your taste. If you only enjoy espresso you will not have a lot of choices. If you like filter coffee the AeroPress gives a good, clean cup in small amounts. A Melita cone with a gold filter is also a good option. Of course, you can also grind coarsely and add hot water, stir and when settled pour yourself a cup.

Here is a short synopsis of my experience with Blue Mountain coffees. A colleague of mine bought a pound (500g) of roasted Jamaica Blue Mountain a few years ago and he paid €65 for it. He thought it was wonderful, but my impression was that it was way over the hill, i.e. not fresh, rancid. I was given a kilo of Clifton Estate (iirc) Blue Mountain that cost well over €100/kg and roasted the first batch just into second crack. I tried it as filter, espresso and in a typical cupping scenario. It was pleasant, but certainly not in any way worth the price. The second batch I roasted just into first crack and gave it to the person who had bought it. He was not particularly impressed either.

I think there must be very different qualities of Blue Mountain coffees . Please do let us know what you think of yours and how you decided to prepare it. Thanks!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby sicinius » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:39 pm

I'd be interested too.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Blue Mountain commands the price it does because it was the first identifiable premium brand bean and not too many people have noticed the growth in the competition. I too have tried it (though not in my own kit) and not been swayed.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby Ed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I have had a first go. I ground it fairly coarse and put it through the French press. The resulting brew was well accepted amongst the family. Quite light and pleasant. From the smell of the beans it isn't top quality stuff though.

I will try to put it through the filter machine for Christmas.
Ed

Return to Other Brewing Methods