Hario grinder: skerton or mill?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hario grinder: skerton or mill?

Postby jon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm getting a hand grinder for the office, and people seem to like the Hario grinders. Anyone know if the Skerton grinder is the one to go for, or if the smaller grinders (sold as a Mill) will do as well? The Mill is smaller and a few quid cheaper - both good - but more people seem to have used the Skerton.
jon

RE: Hario grinder: skerton or mill?

Postby lsjms » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 am

I have a mini mill and like it. Could not live with the open top on the Skerton.
I wish it was a Porlex though.
lsjms

Postby jon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 am

Thanks - are the Porlex grinders better than the hario then?
jon

Postby lsjms » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am

I think so, not much £ difference but the body is all stainless. My mini has those 'stress' cracks all over it. Not actual damage but it looks crap.
lsjms

Postby grchif » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:43 pm

I have three friends with Porlexs and I have a Hario slim; the differences are pretty minor.

Porlex - slimmer, harder to hold - and the handle has no supporting slide where it meets the shaft, so comes off too easily, and damages the spindle. Little static.

Hario Slim (not Skerton) - shaped and easier to hold, clear so you can see grind and progress, more static build up and handle is more secure but shorter so needs marginally more effort. No stress cracks of any sort after over a year of use.

Can't see or taste any differences in grind.
Rancilio Silvia (PID = good!) : Fiorenzato Doge 63 : Aeropress: TC-5: Hario Press Pot : Hario Slim Grinder
grchif

Postby jon » Sun May 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Got the porlex in the end. After light use, produces good quality grind for filter, quickly enough for a hand grinder. A bit fiddly to get the right grind size, but otherwise a nice bit of kit.
jon

Return to Other Brewing Methods