Aeropress again-again.

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:12 pm

espressomattic wrote:
And Richard - your sins are forgiven...

What ? Store-bought coffee ? :D I was desperate one weekend.

I actually love the roasting-connection to my coffee but sometimes it doesn't work-well. Then we have coffee-doldrums where for some reason the coffee isn't tasting good.

Right now M&S Italian is tasting good in a press-pot but it doesn't taste so good in either the stove-top or the Aeropress.

is it me ?
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby GreenBean » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Richard wrote:
espressomattic wrote:And Richard - your sins are forgiven...

What ? Store-bought coffee ? :D I was desperate one weekend.....

I am sure we all understand. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 pm

GreenBean wrote:
Richard wrote:
espressomattic wrote:And Richard - your sins are forgiven...

What ? Store-bought coffee ? :D I was desperate one weekend.....

I am sure we all understand. :wink:

Oh really? :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 am

bruceb wrote:Oh really? :shock:

Well-yes, and precisely. I have been the evangelist for real coffee ever since joining this forum. Anyone buying store-bought coffee, particularly ground-coffee and admitting to be happy about the quality was quickly evangelised towards artisan methods. I have to say that I haven't had a convert and have noticed that store-bought coffee has improved. probably improved because of the turnover.

I just thought of another excuse, because I didn't have a grinder that would grind a whole weeks supply of coffee when I go on-tour in my motorhome I usually buy store-bought coffee which introduced me to the improved quality of some store coffees possibly because of their increase in turnover.

How am I doing ?
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 am

Not bad ;) Have another coffee, it's coming along :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Actually - if you call the roasters you can usually find the roashow many months from 'expiry' they put on their bags. I have done this an always manage to get fresh coffee here. Spoilt to bits though as there are several roasteries nearby too. Anything within 2 weeks of the roast date is fine in my book.
espressomattic

Postby Richard » Sun May 04, 2014 8:11 am

I'm very limited to what I have to say about coffee drinking methods, methods of brewing and now, coffee beans themselves because I ran out of greens and stuck with the M&S beans.

Firstly I'm getting bored, coffee doldrums again. Also, I'm not getting on with the aero press. I bought a new plunger, that is also sticky which suggests the walls of the aero press are causing the problem. Also, I'm preferring the flavored I get from press-pot. Maybe because I can't find my gold filters.

Do I have to buy a completely new aeropress ? Has anyone else had this problem ? Ok, it's no buggy that it's hard to push the plunger down, sometimes it judders on it's way down. I like that bit to be smooth, the judder makes the whole process amateurish.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby GreenBean » Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 am

Hopefully someone who uses the Aeropress can give you some advice, Richard. Like you, I find I prefer a press pot to the the Aeropress if I am away from my Duetto.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Richard » Sun May 04, 2014 10:58 am

Yes, the aeropress with paper filters is just too clean. In fact with gold filters the aeropress doesn't even need the plunger if you have time to wait.

Having said all that us 'coffee enthusiasts' have been accused of suffering O.C.D by some, now the 'some' have bought themselves a pod machine which sort of proves we were right all-along and that the detractors just couldn't cope with the careful preparations needed, or as they put it, "Faffing-about".
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby olddogTim » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Like the aero press but love my cona vac pot :P
Getting old STINKS, but it's better than not getting old! Tim
Equipment= HotTop KN-8828B-2K w/ HTC-TC4C, Cona-C vac pot, Baratza Vituoso, Areo Press.
olddogTim

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 pm

olddogTim wrote:Like the aero press but love my cona vac pot :P

Absolutely, a fine coffee brew method :) I think the big plus of the Aeropress is portability if away, but a decent vac pot at home is always great :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: Aeropress again-again.

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Are we talking aeropress with paper filters or the steel ? I travel often with my "press" but rarely use at home, I just default to Chemex again and again
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Tongle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:57 pm

I have always had the impression that the coffee in the Aeropress has more to give.

Using the original instructions seems to result in a nice drink but I feel the grounds which end up in the bin are not ready to be thrown out, plus there seems to be a large volume of grounds in relation to the liquid extracted.

I'm very interested in the technique shown in the video, looks like a drip method for someone who can't be bothered waiting. Looking forward to trying it.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Not sure if you have seen this but one of my most viewed videos ever still gets crazy views.

http://www.hasblog.co.uk/a-brewing-guide-episode-1-aeropress
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CGP » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm don't brew AeroPresses very often but quite like the results I get from the Prufrock Perfect Paul Method...

http://www.prufrockcoffee.com/aeropress-at-prufrock-perfect-paul-method-a-film

That there Steve Leighton method above this post gives some pretty swanky results too 8)
CGP

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods