FOR SALE - Bunn Trifecta...No, Seriously

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

FOR SALE - Bunn Trifecta...No, Seriously

Postby Dahtac » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:27 am

So a few weeks back I managed to win a little know competition called the brewers cup. As a result I was awarded with a Bunn Trifecta amongst many other fun and nifty pieces of equipment. It quickly became one of the most amazing yet most neglected prize I have ever won.

Sadly, the machine is bigger than my fridge, looks ridiculous on my kitchen counter, requires plumbing (impossible due to my apartment), and, is in general, overkill for my own personal home use.

Thus I have decided to sell off this pretty interesting piece of kit at a rather nice discount.

It is brand new, the brew counter feature has 80 brews recorded, testing and so on, is sparkling clean, comes in original packaging ( :D a rather large and boring brown box) and a full guarantee (I am guessing this is activated by registering with Bunn).

I spent a bit of time looking around online at various prices and decided that I am quite comfortable leaving it go for around €2,000. Pricey enough but this matches the cheapest prices I could find online and if you happen to be looking for one new then a damn good deal considering the retail price.

This is negotiable (slightly) and I will consider lowering if it is available cheaper new somewhere else. If you are interested we can discuss this further in private.

If you are interested we can then discuss shipping/pickup etc? I am in Dublin myself.

I have yet to put this up for sale on any site, I'd prefer to have it go to someone who will get full use out of it, as I do have a bit of sentimental attachment to it. I'll leave it up here for a few weeks before I move it somewhere more public.

Cheers,
Keith
Dahtac

RE: FOR SALE - Bunn Trifecta...No, Seriously

Postby darrensandford » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Wow, that's quite an item! I wish I had the money and the space!

Good luck anyway.
darrensandford

Re: RE: FOR SALE - Bunn Trifecta...No, Seriously

Postby MKSwing » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 pm

It may look expensive but it's a fantastic tool, imho.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

RE: Re: RE: FOR SALE - Bunn Trifecta...No, Seriously

Postby lukas » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Wow! Congratulations on the brewers cup by the way, I didn't follow it but had a glance at your performance - you seemed to burst with passion in a good way! :)

I'd love to have this, but ... ;) Good luck with selling it, I'm quite sure it will find a good home soon!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Yes, congratulations on the win :) Stickying.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Moved to the public area.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby RobC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Slowly catching up on posts, so sorry for this belated congratulations on winning the brewers cup Dahtac, certainly an accolade to be proud of.

As for the beast, Bunn Trifecta How it Works an interesting bit of kit although it does look a little like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down - did you ever find a home for it?
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Dahtac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks.

No home yet, still sitting in the corner of my sitting room in a big box.

Been too busy with work recently to be seriously pushing for a sale. Been getting the word about to various trainers and people I know in hopes someone would catch, but nothing has been thrown up thus far

It is a damn ugly machine, particularly with the likes of the Aurelia, Strada and the Synesso machines that adorn our coffee bars nowadays. Interesting if flawed concept overall.
Dahtac

Postby bruceb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:31 am

Well, it looks like it would fit right into a big, marine diesel workshop.

I don't really understand what it is. I grew up in and out of cafés in the US midwest and everyone of them had one or more big, stainless Bunn filter machines with bulbous glass coffee jugs. The coffee was always just as bad as the big can of preground dried mud they put in the machine. It always smelled great while it was brewing, though.

This thing looks like it makes a coffee mug full, is that right? How is it? I mean, how does the coffee taste? How does it compare to a French press or AeroPress?

You wrote that the concept is flawed overall. Does that mean it does not produce a good cup? It looks like it really should, from the website. What is the new price for this thing?

I see it only weighs 19 kg, which is about one-fourth of what one of my espresso machines weighs. Is it mostly plastic? Sorry for being so uninformed. :oops:

Edit: OK, I read the "Dialing in for a full cup" things, so I know it does make 12 oz. cups and a drip grind. That's about 350 ml or a good sized mug. I guess the volume is adjustable.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Dahtac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 am

Yes, it makes about 350ml or so. Volume is adjustable though as far as I know which is a really useful thing.

The coffee is good, comparing it to aeropress is a good comparison, however the cup profile is more akin to the Coava Disk filter than the stock paper filters. There is a small amount of sediment in the cup, although this can vary depending on how well the coffee is dialed in.

It is incredibly useful in terms of automation, although there is a slight rest period between brews due to cleaning. But this is not much more than typical barista turnaround on a bar. The biggest task is dialling in the coffee, but once this is done you are set. The trifecta really hits the mark if you use a consistent blend throughout the blend rather than rotating, although dialling in is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it.

There are a ton of variables that you can control, temperature, volume, pure infusion, agitation, brew time, many of which can be hard to maintain in terms of consistency in manual brewing. However the current design for water injection is from beneath the grounds chamber. This necessitates the use of agitation in order to wet all the grounds. In my own opinion, top down injection would make the machine far more flexible. The filter mesh is of high quality and produces a cup similar in profile to the Coava Disk, and is quite capable of producing lovely clean cups wheedled in correctly.

It is huge, and all metal, bar the brewing chamber which is a really high strength plastic. The reason it is lighter is that it is mostly empty space, it is very tall and wide, but there are numerous hollows within the structure.

Overall I like the concept, although as a single cup brewer it does not speed up the brewing process significantly more than someone on bar using an aeropress. My thoughts are that it is ideally suited to a high volume speciality cafe, to take some pressure off the brew bar staff during rush times, or in a bar where moderate training is provided and a consistent blend is used all year around, allowing for good, consistent fresh brewed coffee, without the need to train in staff to an advanced level. Or even restaurant use, would be another great place for this, provided at least one person knows how to dial the thing in.

When I say it is flawed, it is not that it does not produce a good cup, But rather that for the rrp, one could pick up one is not 2 of Marcos Fltro shuttles, which produce a better (read different) cup, and do so as a bulk brew. Retail seems to be about €3,500 or so, although it is hard to tell, and Buncould very well sell these at a discount. My asking price undercuts the cheapest I found online, and that was on sale :)
Dahtac

Return to Other Brewing Methods