Press Pot/Aeropress - filter tip

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Press Pot/Aeropress - filter tip

Postby grchif » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Hello all,

Came across a thread on Home-Barista that talks about using a felt filter to improve the brew from an Aeropress - so not leaching the oils/lipids that give (supposedly) much of the flavour as a paper filter does. The guy found that a 5 micron filter was needed to remove all the fines.

I thought I'd try that with a French press pot where the mesh filter usually produces a lot of (for me) undesirable fines, and - it works a treat!

I'm really pleased with the results. I used a 5-micron polyester felt matting circle cut from a standard water filter bag, £11 for 4.5 sq ft - got to be enough for about 60 filters (drinking water approved, temperature tolerant), to replace the steel mesh. 5 minutes to make, tops.

It's a bit of a revelation to me: lovely and clean cup, almost none of the bitterness, but with all the body of a 'normal' French Press.

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Cheers,

Colin
Rancilio Silvia (PID = good!) : Fiorenzato Doge 63 : Aeropress: TC-5: Hario Press Pot : Hario Slim Grinder
grchif

RE: Press Pot/Aeropress - filter tip

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks for the tip, Colin! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Press Pot/Aeropress - filter tip

Postby lukas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Fines are the most irritating problem for me with french press brews. Unless I either sieve the grounds or have a really good grinder at hand (something in the line of Mahlkönig Guatemala or VT6A), I was never really satisfied with a cup of the french press, for it not having a clean taste and fines over fines in the cup. It also becomes quite astringent over time. That's the reason my french press is sitting in the cabinet since I don't know how long.

I wonder if it's possible to get the clean taste with the polyester filters - or is a 'proper' grind and technique required for that?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby grchif » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Lukas,

5 micron certainly removes the fines from the liquid in the cup so it's very good in that sense, but I'm not sure I can say with any certainty that it removes the taste fines may give in the brew. I'm currently using it with a Hario slim hand grinder and it's definitely much better than without the felt filter, though!

Easy enough to do a four-way test (felt, mesh, Hario, Doge) I suppose, but it wouldn't be blind. When I get a round tuit...

Colin
Rancilio Silvia (PID = good!) : Fiorenzato Doge 63 : Aeropress: TC-5: Hario Press Pot : Hario Slim Grinder
grchif

Return to Other Brewing Methods