DIsposing of French Press sludge

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

DIsposing of French Press sludge

Postby P.B » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:10 am

While the espresso machine is out of order I'll be using the Bodum French Press. But what do others do with all the grounds left in the pot: rinse it down the sink; spoon it out and into the bin; let it dry?

I've been spooning it out into the bin but it can be quite sloppy so I'm wondering if any-one's got a cleaner easier method.

Cheers, Paul.
P.B

RE: DIsposing of French Press sludge

Postby dr.chris » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Sink is probably a no no because it can get blocked up. Spooning out into a bin can be awkward with the amount of water in the grounds. Parents (when they still drank coffee - getting old :() used to just spoon it onto the flower border. At work I use a 'solid waste disposal unit' (i.e. a toilet).
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Sink drains and traps quickly get plugged up, so that's a no no. Add some water, swirl around and dump down the toilet and flush. It's by far the safest and simplest way to get rid of it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lsjms » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:35 pm

I pour off the most of the remains of the liquid coffee to leave a grounds soup. I put one piece of kitchen paper or newspaper in the sink and pour the soup on the paper.
After a few seconds the liquid will have drained away and the grounds can be wrapped in the paper and thrown on the compost. Or give the wrap a squeeze to get the last of the water out and bin.
The last few grinds stuck to the glass go down the plughole.

I am coming round to the reverse FP method just because it make grounds disposal so easy.
lsjms

Postby motoman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:07 pm

As an abrasive, coffee grounds should clean out the waste pipebut tea leaves swell up and block it.

That is what I have been led to believe for many many years and so far my sink is still clear.

My used pucks are crushed and go in the recycle bin.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Jules » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:34 pm

I wash all my coffee grounds down the sink and it's never been blocked. :)
Jules

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:10 pm

I guess it depends upon how long and how direct the drain pipe is. Our drains quickly got plugged with coffee grounds until I became more careful about keeping them out of the sink.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Jules » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 pm

In that case I'm glad my pipe is quite direct; scooping the drains into the bin is a bit of a chore for my lazy self.
Jules

Postby P.B » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Our kitchen sink runs into a drain-away rather than a proper mains drain (another bodge from the previous house owner!) so it's probably best not to tempt fate. Thanks for the advice - I think I'll spoon out into the bin after draining the pot as much as possible. Although I'll try-out the reverse FP method too.

Paul
P.B

Postby Skippy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I pour mine down the sink too, just too much hassle doing it other ways and im lazy!

I use a chemex style brewer now because i can just take out the paper filter and pop it into the bin.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby RoasterPaul » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:30 am

I've been pouring most of my 'sludge' into the compost bin and it seems to work pretty well. As long as you don't drink so much that the compost becomes completely full of coffee it seems to help the general mix!
Cheers,
Paul
RoasterPaul

Postby motoman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:43 pm

The way that the pucks and sludge turn green so fast is a sure bet that they will make good compost, That wierd funny shaped Australian gizmo is sold on its ability to make compost, but how it can do that better than just letting it rot beats me.

The fact that the puck or grounds are easily saturated proves that they can be flushed without a problem. Blame me if it goes wrong and send the bill to Jules.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby DrTom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:44 pm

My used grounds go into an empty coffee bag (the only use i have found for these bags!) then go to people's compost heaps or my rhubarb!
DrTom

Postby dr.chris » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Quick comment on the compost thing - I remember seeing something on telly where they said that slugs dont like coffee grounds - they have no taste.. (it might be something to do with residual caffine) - so you could also use grounds as a mulch
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 am

Yes, all the slugs in our garden demand tea in the morning :) ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods