Descaling a filter machine

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Descaling a filter machine

Postby Lambo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm

What do people use to descale their filter machines?
I've got a Melitta machine and in France you can get their own brand descaler from most supermarkets, but I can't seem to find it over here.

Any recommendations?
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Lambo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 pm

So nobody on TMC owns a filter machine, or if they do they don't descale it? :shock:
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby bruceb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Few people here use filter machines, I daresay. It makes sense to descale them, however. It's hard to give advice without knowing the machine. I always used "normal" machine descaler that you can buy in any supermarket. For my Krups T-80 I use the same citric acid I use for my espresso machines. This isn't recommended if the boiler or pipes are made of aluminium. In that case you're better off using one of the supermarket descalers or the original descaler sold by the manufacturer. This may be formic or methanoic acid based.

Most efficient descalers are corrosive and need to be handled with care and it goes without saying that they need to be rinsed out completely before using the machine to make coffee again.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby easylife » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Lambo wrote:So nobody on TMC owns a filter machine, or if they do they don't descale it? :shock:

The latter in my case. I have very soft water so do not be shocked.

The instructions with my Melitta recommended "Swirl" active descaler, or "Swirl" bio descaler. Both these products, and the one sold on their own website are based on citric acid, so I reckon I'd just use that.

http://www.melitta24.de/Produktkatalog/ ... 6508105106

(they will happily deliver to the UK if you want to be 100% "Melitta compliant"
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby motoman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:17 am

The clasic method of cleaning glass decanters is VINEGAR, just be sure to give it a good rinse.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Lambo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 am

Thanks for the replies - unfortunately Swindon seems to be quite hard water :(
Citroën DS
Lambo

Return to Other Brewing Methods