A good percolator machine for sub/~200 GBP?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A good percolator machine for sub/~200 GBP?

Postby DrTom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Hello TMC!

My girlfriend is looking for a coffee machine - something along the lines of the Kenwood CM021 (it looks cool :) and the temp. control seemed like a good feature)

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/produc ... fee_Makers

She's not a power user and would just like an easy to drive, good quality machine.

Are there any bean to cup machines about worth the money?

Thanks!

Tom
DrTom

RE: A good percolator machine for sub/~200 GBP?

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:49 am

No.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: A good percolator machine for sub/~200 GBP?

Postby GreenBean » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 am

bruceb wrote:No.

To distill so much experience, knowledge, education, reason and logic in to such a beautifully brief reply is just so inspiring. :shock: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: A good percolator machine for sub/~200 GBP?

Postby DrTom » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Cheers guys.
DrTom

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 pm

If you are looking for a filter (drip) coffee maker you should consider the Dutch Technivormmachines and burr grinder. You'll be well under the 200 GBP limit.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby phil2spill » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:38 pm

^ Agreed, I got a used but good condition 1.8 L commercial model with thermal carafe for around GB£60 delivered, on ebay. Not as pretty as the domestic models, but the coffee is just as good.
phil2spill

Postby easylife » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi
Can personally recommend the Melitta Aroma Excellent Therm filter machine. I was originally looking for a simple but good machine for my elderly Mom to use, but was so impressed I got one myself. At the time they weren't available in the UK,and I bought mine in Germany.

http://www.melitta.de/Aroma-Excellent-S ... m-973.html

They are now listed on the anothercoffee.co.uk website (but currently out of stock)

Not cheap - about £120 I think, although there is a glass carafe version which I think is a bit cheaper. Very good machines though. Well thought out design, brews at the right temperature, brews quickly, and is extremely simple to use.
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby Skippy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Little off topic, but those arnt percolators are they? I thought percolators were those evil things from the 70s that overheated coffee to the point of destruction? Id call these filter machines or drip filter machines.

p.s. not being picky, just curious if i was wrong about what a percolator was.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Aadje » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I would love to own a technivorm, but they're quite expensive imho.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby easylife » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Skippy wrote:Little off topic, but those arnt percolators are they? I thought percolators were those evil things from the 70s that overheated coffee to the point of destruction? Id call these filter machines or drip filter machines.
p.s. not being picky, just curious if i was wrong about what a percolator was.

You are correct. However, the device the OP linked to in the original question is a filter machine, and I guess we all took our cue from that rather than the title of the topic.

On the subject of true percolators - I've got several, and you are right most of them make lousy coffee - apart from one. That is of a different design from the others, and works quite well making an acceptable brew. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a Russell Hobbs machine from the early 50's that doesn't even START to brew until the whole thing is at boiling point. Looks neat though, and very 1950's.
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby bruceb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:22 pm

My terse answer above was based on the question about "percolators."
bruceb

Return to Other Brewing Methods