Brew filter coffee in a bag

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Brew filter coffee in a bag

Postby Kaz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Anyone else come across these guys at Caffe Culture? They’re Grower's Cup who are planning to launch in to the UK market. I was intrigued by the concept, but my observation that the portability and compactness of having coffee and filter in a bag was well suited to hiking or camping/picnicking etc didn’t go down very well with the rep. However, the sight of filter coffee being poured out of a paper bag at a dinner party in their advertising banner is, to me, incongruous and confusing (advertising for HandPresso IMHO is clearer and more fun). I think they’re missing an opportunity. Having said that, the sample I tasted at Olympia was good (can’t remember what it was) and I haven’t a clue about the proposed sale price.

I was given a sample but haven’t used it – I’m going to give it to my son who’s coming back to the UK next week to renew his visa – he’s currently involved, for 6 months, in a project to build hiking trails around Lake Baikal in Siberia and raise ecological awareness through educational programmes with local children – all good stuff. This coffee will be just the job to pop in the old rucksack - just hope it still tastes OK…. And yes, I’ve checked, the packaging’s recyclable.

I know that there are a lot of outdoorsy types on this forum. What do you think of this?
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

RE: Brew filter coffee in a bag

Postby triptogenetica » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Sounds interesting. The hiking market seems sensible.

But - the deal-breaker for me - it's pre-ground. IMHO, the Devil's cup.

I find a hand grinder and Aeropress small and light enough to take camping / hiking, even when i have to carry everything on my back.

The hot water source is the heaviest part for me - a Trangia - and that would stay the same.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby syscrusher » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 pm

I've used them, and if I could readily buy them, I would certainly use them when traveling somewhere I know I won't get any decent coffee, or even in work if I don't feel like dragging in the equipment (and I rarely feel like dragging in the equipment).

It is what it is to a certain extent. Preground yes, not the cleanest cup by any means, but I've had a couple of very drinkable cups from them.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Tristan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 am

I tried it at Caffe Culture, thought it was actually really cool. Pretty much agree with the above...
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Return to Other Brewing Methods