cafezinho

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

cafezinho

Postby misalda » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Does anyone know anything about Cafezinho, I've done a search but it returned nothing. I know it's Brazilian it seems to be very similar to Turkish coffee but filtered through cloth?
Fracino Cherub, Eureka Zenith 65E, Cafe Gene Roaster, Aeropress, Napoletana.

Too much power is impossible!!
misalda

RE: cafezinho

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 pm

It's the national coffee drink of Brazil and means "little coffee." You can dissolve sugar in water, bring to a boil, add a heaped desert spoon of finely ground coffee per demitasse, stir and filter through a cloth or paper filter. Cloth coffee filters are available in lots of "Third World" shops, but paper is getting more common in Brazil, I believe.

There are other ways of making it, but it always is very strong and sweet. Unrefined brown sugar is preferred.

The drink is always served in tiny cups, a bit smaller than espresso cups and in Brazil there are little, gaudy spoons used to stir it, often decorated with artificial gems or cut glass.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby misalda » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks, I wondered if anyone had experience of it, I have read that the paper filters absorb all of the oils but not having a cloth one I can't compare.
Fracino Cherub, Eureka Zenith 65E, Cafe Gene Roaster, Aeropress, Napoletana.

Too much power is impossible!!
misalda

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:16 pm

misalda wrote:Thanks, I wondered if anyone had experience of it, I have read that the paper filters absorb all of the oils but not having a cloth one I can't compare.

That argument has been around for a long time, but I think it is rubbish and if my failing memory isn't playing tricks on me someone did some experiments a few years and disproved it soundly. Common sense would seem to indicate that cloth absorbs oils at least as well as paper. From the number and size of the gravy stains on my ties I think I have enough proof for myself. :roll: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Other Brewing Methods