Best simple solution for good coffee at work

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best simple solution for good coffee at work

Postby MarkW » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:13 pm

I've had my espresso machine and grinder a couple of years now, and enjoy a freshly ground cup of Hasbean coffee every morning and most nights as well :)

Problem is at here work we have a small kitchen, with a sink, kettle and a jar of Gold Blend to keep me going all day :shock:

What would be the best simple solution to enable me to make a reasonable single cup of coffee a few times throughout the day? I tend to only drink long black 'Americano' style, so not concerned about milk etc.

I'm not really up to speed on other methods of brewing, other than those cafetiere things you sometimes get when out, that often taste foul.

I can get pre ground coffee from Hasbean, but not sure what the best equipment to use would be?
MarkW

RE: Best simple solution for good coffee at work

Postby dsc » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Mark,

make some at home and bring it with you. You can check my thread on what to use to transport your coffee:

http://toomuchcoffee.co.uk/index.php?na ... pic&t=8120

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby HughF » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:36 pm

We go with cafetiere in a similar setup but that might not be strong enough to fake an Americano. Moka pot aka stove-top espresso would be the closest without a real espresso machine but needs a stove - unless you can buy one which runs off mains electricity
like this but without the alleged leaks and can source a suitable grinder?

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby dr.chris » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 pm

I use a cafetiere and a little Krups blade grinder. Black coffee and a mug which is black also so I cant see the deposits. (it doesnt get washed very often)
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby P.B » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:55 am

I use a Dualit grinder and a Chemex. The office kettle has so much scale in it the only way to avoid that appearing in the cup is to use a paper filter! Others in the office use a Senseo but there's never any shortage of takers for any of my left-over coffee - strange that...
P.B

Re: RE: Best simple solution for good coffee at work

Postby bruceb » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:24 pm

P.B wrote: Others in the office use a Senseo but there's never any shortage of takers for any of my left-over coffee - strange that...

Difficult to understand, isn't it? Preferring pour-over, paper filtered coffee with water from a scale generator to a freshly made Senseo brew?

I was recently in Amsterdam and was served a cup from a Philips Senseo machine and "fresh" pad from Douwe Egberts. It was undrinkable. I don't think I've had that bad a cup in years. The people who served it (friends of mine, I'm embarrassed to admit) think it's just wonderful. I wonder if there is a gene for tasting coffee. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby P.B » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:38 pm

bruceb wrote:I was recently in Amsterdam and was served a cup from a Philips Senseo machine and "fresh" pad from Douwe Egberts. It was undrinkable. I don't think I've had that bad a cup in years...

I wonder if there is a gene for tasting coffee. :roll:

yeah there must be - I try not to comment when they discuss which pad they prefer the taste of :shock:
P.B

RE: Re: RE: Best simple solution for good coffee at work

Postby GeoffsCigars » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:43 pm

This is a problem that has perplexed me for ages. Current solution, and the best to date, is a hand-grinder and an Aeropress. Raised a few eyebrows at first, but who cares!
GeoffsCigars

Postby JulieJayne » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:33 pm

P.B wrote:
bruceb wrote:I was recently in Amsterdam and was served a cup from a Philips Senseo machine and "fresh" pad from Douwe Egberts. It was undrinkable. I don't think I've had that bad a cup in years...

I wonder if there is a gene for tasting coffee. :roll:

yeah there must be - I try not to comment when they discuss which pad they prefer the taste of :shock:
It is surprising though how many of the Senseo drinkers prefer the very darkest roast and often put in 2 pads to get a coffee flavour!!
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Return to Other Brewing Methods